The Natural & Holistic Dog Care Blog

The Natural & Holistic Dog Care Blog keeps you up-to-date with all the latest additions to the Organic Pet Digest website. It's useful because it...

Domestic Labrador Puppy (Canis Familiaris) Sleeping
Buy at AllPosters.com
  • Informs you when we post new natural and holistic dog care information and advice to the site
  • Outlines any important news or research findings in the dog care industry
  • Highlights popular articles that you may have missed

To subscribe to The Natural and Holistic Dog Care Blog (no e-mail necessary), right-click on the orange RSS button (see below) and then paste the URL into your RSS reader. Or you can click on one of the other buttons (i.e. My Yahoo! or My MSN) if you prefer to read our blog updates there.

If you're not too sure what RSS and blogging is all about, click on the "What's an RSS Feed?" link (also bottom left margin). Once you start, you will be amazed at what RSS can do!

[?] Subscribe To This Site

XML RSS
Add to Google
Add to My Yahoo!
Add to My MSN
Subscribe with Bloglines

Irritation Around Dog's Eye & Mouth

About two weeks ago we noticed a redness above our dog’s eye. It appeared that some fur was scraped off so we thought that he might have run into a rose

Continue reading "Irritation Around Dog's Eye & Mouth"

Dog's Eye is Red Made Worse By Continued Scratching

My dog seems to be scratching her own eye. Once she starts scratching she doesn't stop until I tear her paw away. Not only is the eye really red, her

Continue reading "Dog's Eye is Red Made Worse By Continued Scratching"

3 Half Dollar Sized, Flat Red Patches with White Center on Dog's Groin, Rear Armpit and Neck

Our dog Otis has 3 half-dollar sized rashes with flat, round red-patches and white centers - one on his rear armpit, one closer to the center of his groin

Continue reading "3 Half Dollar Sized, Flat Red Patches with White Center on Dog's Groin, Rear Armpit and Neck"

Dog Skin Rash Has Moved to Underside and Legs

I first noticed a problem with my dog's skin on Sunday. After a little research I realized that she had hives. Her fur was raised out in nickel and quarter

Continue reading "Dog Skin Rash Has Moved to Underside and Legs"

Harness Rash on Dog's Armpits

Today we took my dog to the dog beach for the first time, and she was wearing her harness as she was swimming. She now has rashes only under her armpits

Continue reading "Harness Rash on Dog's Armpits"

Dog with Tender, Warm and Enlarged Teat Is Having Difficulty Urinating

I noticed an enlarged teat (left side closest to hind leg) on my dog in November when we were taking her to the vet frequently for anal gland infections.

Continue reading "Dog with Tender, Warm and Enlarged Teat Is Having Difficulty Urinating"

Dark & Puffy Irritation Ring & Hair Loss Around Dog's Eye

My dog Blake seems to get this eye irritation (see photos) from time to time, but it never fully goes away. He has had the problem for over a year. His

Continue reading "Dark & Puffy Irritation Ring & Hair Loss Around Dog's Eye"

Soft Pink Growth on Dog's Belly is Getting Bigger

When my dog Cali was about two years old she had a small (1/8th - 1/4 in) growth on her side / belly. It was covered by her short fur though so I was unable

Continue reading "Soft Pink Growth on Dog's Belly is Getting Bigger"

Dog Hair Loss & Weight Loss Out of Nowhere

This is my dog Isack. He recently began to lose hair. It is mostly on his face, underbelly, and legs. He does have some scaly spots up by his neck. At

Continue reading "Dog Hair Loss & Weight Loss Out of Nowhere"

Dog's recurring diarrhea after multiple antibiotics treatments

We have a five-year-old golden retriever Max. Ever since he was a puppy he has always had issues with diarrhea. For the entire first year of his life,

Continue reading "Dog's recurring diarrhea after multiple antibiotics treatments"

Lesion on My Dog's Front Leg

The lesion in the photo has been apparent for about a month. My dog is always licking it, it does not seem to bother her if you touch it and it does appear

Continue reading "Lesion on My Dog's Front Leg"

Recommended Dog Multi-vitamin & Joint Supplement

I want to start adding multi-vitamins to her diet and a joint supplement as well. She has luxating patella in both back legs. Last year they said she had

Continue reading "Recommended Dog Multi-vitamin & Joint Supplement"

Traveling Abroad Without All Dog Vaccinations

My father has a Service Dog which we do not vaccinate due to prior vaccinosis. We are gonna be traveling to the US Virgin islands and back to Puerto Rico

Continue reading "Traveling Abroad Without All Dog Vaccinations"

Dog's Recurring Hair Loss, Sores and Painful, Bleeding Skin

A year ago I adopted my 3 year old pekingese from an animal shelter. When I got him he had all of his hair and seemed healthy. But a little after I noticed

Continue reading "Dog's Recurring Hair Loss, Sores and Painful, Bleeding Skin"

Is My Dog's Growth Serious?

I have a 2 year old Puggle that has a growth on one of her hind legs. It's on the muscular part of the leg and we noticed the growth start a couple months

Continue reading "Is My Dog's Growth Serious?"

Update on Dog's Ear Wart

Update on Penny's ear growth: I purchased the Thuya in the 6c potency because they did not have the 12. I put 2 pellets in a dropper with spring water

Continue reading "Update on Dog's Ear Wart"

Dog's Stained Teeth Won't Get Clean!

Two years ago our dog Gimmel had problems with his teeth being so stained despite all the special water additives and dental sticks that we purchased.

Continue reading "Dog's Stained Teeth Won't Get Clean!"

Black Growth on Dog's Ear

Blackish Wart/Growth on the ear that sometimes bleeds, has been there for approx. 6 months. Dog is a Yorkshire terrier and is 11 years old.

Continue reading "Black Growth on Dog's Ear"

Dog Liver Enzymes Are High

One of my dogs (age 6) had been getting fat, so I took her to 2 vets because she was drinking lots of water and was very anxious. Her liver enzymes were

Continue reading "Dog Liver Enzymes Are High"

Open Wound on Dog's Neck That Won't Heal

I noticed an open wound on my dog's neck about a week ago. On two separate nights about a day apart, I used peroxide to clean the wound and I used neosporine

Continue reading "Open Wound on Dog's Neck That Won't Heal"

Dog Wart Under Jaw

My dog, a 3 yr old puggle has recently developed a wart under his jaw. I didn't think it was a cause for concern, but I feel like it has grown. I would

Continue reading "Dog Wart Under Jaw"

Calcium Supplementation for Raw Dog Food Diet

I am feeding my 8 week old lab puppy a homemade {cooked} diet from Dr. Pitcairn's book. While I realize that it is important to supplement with calcium

Continue reading "Calcium Supplementation for Raw Dog Food Diet"

Incessant Itching Dog Rash on Ears, Neck, Legs, Flank, Back, Abdomen

This is Charlie, my 5 year old red hound/lab rescue. He is usually in excellent health. However 2 weeks ago I noticed he started scratching constantly.

Continue reading "Incessant Itching Dog Rash on Ears, Neck, Legs, Flank, Back, Abdomen"

Dog with Green Eye Gook

I have a German Shepard mix who is 11 yrs old and recently started to get this huge green gook in her eyes. What could this be and what can I do to get

Continue reading "Dog with Green Eye Gook"

Dog with Skin Cancer & Punctured Tumors

I rescued this 13 year old Whippet and the vet says he has skin cancer. I don't want to put him to sleep because he's active and a very happy dog. But

Continue reading "Dog with Skin Cancer & Punctured Tumors"

Small Bump At Injection Point of Dog's Skin After Vaccination

I just recently adopted a Italian Greyhound and noticed a tiny bump on his skin a week after I vaccinated him. The bump is exactly where they injected

Continue reading "Small Bump At Injection Point of Dog's Skin After Vaccination"

Dog with Swollen Itchy Eye / Eyelid

My 10 year old female dog's right eye has been swollen for 3 days now. She rubs it with her paw. Benadryl gives her some relief, but when it wears off,

Continue reading "Dog with Swollen Itchy Eye / Eyelid"

Dog Licks Armpits Non-Stop & Has Black Smelly Skin There

For the past year or so, my dog has been licking her armpits non-stop, day and night. The skin under her short hair has turned very black. Her breath

Continue reading "Dog Licks Armpits Non-Stop & Has Black Smelly Skin There"

Holistic Treatment for Dog Eye Pannus

My 18 month old Border Collie Bennie was recently diagnosed with dog eye pannus (see attached photos). The dark brown spot is at the 8 o'clock- 9 o'clock

Continue reading "Holistic Treatment for Dog Eye Pannus"

Bumps or Warts Near Dog's Genitals

These wart-looking bumps (see photo) were found near my dog's genitals. Over the last few weeks we have noticed a few more of them. They are only on the

Continue reading "Bumps or Warts Near Dog's Genitals"

Growth Between Dog's Paw Pads

I just noticed a growth (see pic) between the bottom of my dog's toe pads on her rear foot. It looks like a nail growth but not as firm/hard as a nail.

Continue reading "Growth Between Dog's Paw Pads"

How to Prevent Dog Cancer from Returning

How can I prevent our dog's cancer from returning? Our 5-year-old golden retriever Max was diagnosed with a 1.5cm diameter mast cell tumor (MCT) on

Continue reading "How to Prevent Dog Cancer from Returning"

Growth on Dog's Anus & Anal Gland Problems

My vet recently discovered a small black bump on the left side of my dogs anus. Last year in October I took my dog Oscar to a new vet (Oscar is a 10

Continue reading "Growth on Dog's Anus & Anal Gland Problems"

Bad Acne All Over Dog's Body

I have a 5 month old male Thai Ridge Back pedigree with a very bad pimple-like acne rash all over his body except his face. I live in Thailand and this

Continue reading "Bad Acne All Over Dog's Body"

Dog Wart on Ear Appeared 2 Weeks Ago

This wart appeared on our dog Ritka's ear about 2 weeks ago. We took her to the vet 10 days ago to find out what it could be. The vet thought that possibly

Continue reading "Dog Wart on Ear Appeared 2 Weeks Ago"

Senior Dog Falls Over Like a Tree Falling

Less than a week ago, I was approaching my front door with my dog, Theo. He was in the living room standing. Suddenly, he just fell down, like a tree falling

Continue reading "Senior Dog Falls Over Like a Tree Falling"

Swollen, Red Bump on Top of Dog's Paw

I noticed a small, dime-sized bump on the top of my 9 year old Belgium Sheepdog's paw earlier this week. It seemed to have come out of nowhere, and all

Continue reading "Swollen, Red Bump on Top of Dog's Paw"

Dog Urine Is Darker and Has Blood

Within the last week my dog's urination frequency has increased by 3 times. When I let her out at night she will seem to urinate well over 15-20 seconds

Continue reading "Dog Urine Is Darker and Has Blood"

Small Hard Dog Lumps All Over Body

About a week after I got my dog, he started to get lumps over his back and rump and the sides of his back legs. To me it looked like insect bites. I consulted

Continue reading "Small Hard Dog Lumps All Over Body"

Photo: Dog Wart, Tumor or Something Else?

We identified this lump on my 10 year old dog's ear. It was originally very small and white a few months ago, and now its turning black and growing a

Continue reading "Photo: Dog Wart, Tumor or Something Else?"

Dog's Eyes Cloudy, Trouble Seeing, Vision Deteriorating

I noticed my dog has a cloudy film around his eyes with a reddish tint as you can see in the picture. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, but he definitely

Continue reading "Dog's Eyes Cloudy, Trouble Seeing, Vision Deteriorating"

Dog Has Small Skin Patches with Hair Loss

My dog has small skin patches with hair loss on his right side just behind his front leg near his ribs. He doesn't itch it at all, and they don't seem

Continue reading "Dog Has Small Skin Patches with Hair Loss"

Growth on Underside of Dog's Ear

This growth with rigid (not smooth) surface appeared about 3 weeks ago. Two or 3 days prior I gave Penny a bath and I would have thought I would have

Continue reading "Growth on Underside of Dog's Ear"

Dog's UPC Results - Protein Numbers High

I have a recently rescued a bull terrier about 2yrs old. The vet did some analysis and here are the UPC results. I notice that the protein was high...

Continue reading "Dog's UPC Results - Protein Numbers High"

Dog Third Eyelid Inflammation & Mucousy Eye Discharge

For a few months my 134 pound Mastiff/Black Lab mix has had irritated eyes, with third lid showing. Also a mucousy discharge. Have been to vet. Used

Continue reading "Dog Third Eyelid Inflammation & Mucousy Eye Discharge"

Giardia in Dogs & Puppies - Diagnosis & Treatment

Our conventional vet is great but only provides standard methods of treatment for giardia in dogs (wormer and flagyl). Our puppy is on what they told me

Continue reading "Giardia in Dogs & Puppies - Diagnosis & Treatment"

Dog Not Able to Hold Food or Water Down

We rescued a 3 year old Maltese female named Sugar. Last week she was vomiting and very sickly. We took her to our vet and they told us she had hook worms.

Continue reading "Dog Not Able to Hold Food or Water Down"

Senior Dog Losing Control of Bladder

I'm experiencing some relatively new issues these days with my dog. Last Friday, we celebrated 14 years together. He's always been able to hold his pee

Continue reading "Senior Dog Losing Control of Bladder"

Growth on Dog's Back Inner Legs/Groin with Rash

A growth has come about on my dog Tonka's inner back thigh or groin and I have never noticed it before, can't really say how long he has had it. He has

Continue reading "Growth on Dog's Back Inner Legs/Groin with Rash"

Back to top of The Natural & Holistic Dog Care Blog

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave a comment in the box below.