Yorkie Inflamed Eye with More Discharge Than Usual

by Alejandra
(N Miami beach, Florida)

My little Yorkie has a problem in one or both eyes, not sure. It has more discharge than usual and I think is inflamed, she cleans it often and it's kind of smaller than the other.

Comments for Yorkie Inflamed Eye with More Discharge Than Usual

My Online Vet Response for: Yorkie Inflamed Eye with More Discharge Than Usual

January 25, 2015

Dear Alejandra,
Without a photo I cannot give you any specific advice on what might be wrong. But from your description:

"problem in one or both eyes.... more discharge than usual and I think is inflamed, she cleans it often and it's kind of smaller than the other."

You should take her to a veterinarian for an exam to make sure she does not have a scratch on the cornea.

Dr Larry Bernstein is a great holistic veterinarian based in Miami Beach. I suggest you try to make an appointment for your Yorkie to have him look at her.

January 26, 2015

Hi Alejandra
Thank you for sending pictures! It looks like both eyes are involved. I suspect it may be conjunctivitis, but I am unable to determine a cause.

It might be from allergies, ingrown eyelashes, foreign body in both eyes causing a scratch on the cornea or other problem. It is hard to tell if the pupils are dilated or constricted, from these pictures.

I still think it would be best to see a veterinarian for a specific diagnosis and treatment.