Yellow Lab with Opened Lump

by Ryan H

Opened Lump - Photo 1

Opened Lump - Photo 1

Opened Lump - Photo 1
Opened Lump - Photo 2
Lumpy Skin

My dog is a VERY LUMPY DOG and has been since early on. He has only one lump that is "external" which just opened up. It is about 1.5 inches.

I noticed a couple weeks ago that a scab was forming on the top portion of it. He started tugging at it for a couple of days every now and then but then just pretty much left it alone for the last couple weeks. This morning it opened, he has been cleaning it as needed but has mostly left it alone. It's not bleeding much and appears to be scabbing up already.

He's as starving as he always is, ready to go for a walk, his fur coat is great and seems to have no symptoms of anything other than this nasty looking thing!

Is there anything I can/should do for it/him? Is there anything he can take, any special treatment, do I need to take him in or will he take care of it himself? He is terrified of the vet, and so am I... :0)

Male Yellow Lab, fixed, 11 years old, 78 lbs
Food: Homemade, twice daily; meat, veggies, fruit, brown rice, eggs, yams, etc.

Supplements once daily: glucosamine/chondroitin, fish oil, colostrum and MAX3 (IP-6 & Inositol plus Maitake & Cat's Claw... started taking about 7 months ago)

Last vaccinations: Stopped giving after 7 years of age

Last vet visit: 6 months ago VCA's Senior Best Care Check-Up; complete history & physical exam, blood work (CBC + 30 tests), urinalysis, fecal, heartworm, blood pressure, x-rays (chest, abdomen). We also had them do cytology on all of his lumps including the one I am writing about today. Results of Senior Best Care Check-up plus cytology, "EVERYTHING LOOKS AWESOME!"

Thank you,
Ryan

Comments for Yellow Lab with Opened Lump

Update as of 2pm Eastern
by: Ryan Hall

It seems to be healing fast, he's leaving it alone and it's not bleeding (maybe he opened it up by humping his pillow...which he does before and after every walk and every meal... he's a happy dog...). We went on our afternoon walk late yesterday and everything was great, he had his dinner, had his breakfast this morning... all good... Pee and poop look normal. Thanks!

My Online Vet Response for: Yellow Lab with Opened Lump

March 12, 2014

Hi Ryan,
From the photos and your description of these 'lumps' that seem to be all over his body, I cannot tell you if they are benign or malignant without a further visit to the veterinarian. A conventional veterinarian would remove one or more surgically, and send it in for analysis.

There are pros and cons to this approach:

This would give us a 'diagnosis' of what the lumps are, but would will only cause more stress on his system and probably cause new lumps/tumors to appear.

Since you mention that he is terrified of the veterinarian, then perhaps a more holistic approach can be tried for now.

1. Diet:
Continue the homemade diet, make sure the meat is RAW. (But no raw pork or raw fish.)

2. Supplements:
Continue all the supplements.

3. Vaccinations, you stopped them 7 years ago, but I am very suspicious that vaccinations triggered these 'lumps' to appear in the first place. With no other symptoms, and he was given a 'clean bill of health' recently, I would treat homeopathically for *vaccinosis*. A term used by holistic veterinarians for an illness that was probably created by a vaccine in a susceptible individual.

A great homeopathic remedy to start with would be Sulphur. I would start with 12C give him one pellet TWO times daily for the next 3 weeks.

Homeopathic remedies are available online, at health food stores or from a holistic veterinarian. For more information and details on how to give homeopathic remedies, see Dr Richard Pitcairn's book, Natural Health for Dogs and Cats.

His response to this remedy will need to be monitored. After 3 weeks, send me an update. We may need to increase the potency (from 12C to 30C), decrease the frequency from two times daily to one time daily, or switch to a different remedy. This process is much easier when done in person. So, you may need to search for a holistic veterinarian, in the meantime. But we can determine how well things are going as we go along.