Yeast ear infection in a dog that won't allow ear drops

by Julie

I have a 3 yr old bullmastiff/coonhound mix who has a chronic problem with yeast infections in his ears. My problem is that he is (what I would consider) a very anxious dog and he has serious problems with having his ears and feet handled. He is impossible to medicate.

He weighs 113 lbs and ABSOLUTELY REFUSES to let me put drops in his ears. He can get a muzzle off and puts up an incredible fight and I have given up trying.

I have tried desensitizing him to being handled but he wants nothing to do with this.

My vet says there really is no treatment other than the drops for a yeast infection. Do you know of any remedies other than the drops that can treat this?

He gets a very high quality lamb and rice dry food diet. He also gets plain yogurt daily for a sensitive stomach. I really want to help him, but I am at my wits end!!

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,Julie

Comments for Yeast ear infection in a dog that won't allow ear drops

My Online Vet Response for Yeast ear infection in a dog that won't allow ear drops

Hi Julie,
Large uncooperative dogs DO present a challenge! And it would be difficult to modify his behavior if he is in pain.

Decrease some of the dry kibble and replace it with meat (RAW meat would be the healthiest, but NO RAW PORK or RAW FISH). Also, try grain-free kibble, as yeast thrives on carbohydrate and sugar.

Make the grain free kibble 1/3 of the meal, with vegetables, 1/3, and raw meat, 1/3, added in - that would be ideal. Adding in Acidophilus (non-dairy) would be better than yogurt. Open 1 to 2 capsules and add to his food 2 times daily.

Add in about 1-2 tsp of Apple Cider vinegar to each meal. If he objects to the smell or taste, decrease it to only 1/2 tsp in his food twice a day. The dose should be ONE Tbsp in his food two times daily (about what a human would need). This will help create a more 'acid' environment in his body, and hopefully reduce the yeast population in his ears (I normally put the vinegar in the ears, and in the food, but since we cannot do that in this case, we will just put it in the food).

If this 'yeast infection' started after he received a vaccination, then he might improve if you give him a dose of Thuya 12c two times daily for three to six weeks.

Some immune system supplements that may help are Immuplex from Standard Process (one capsule in his food two times daily) and OrthoMolecular Specialties, Mega C Powder-
add 1/2 tsp to his food two times daily.

For more specific homeopathic remedies that would help him, it would be best for a local holistic vet to guide you along.

- Dog Yeast Infection,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Ear Problems Section

Boxer ear infection, will not let us touch his ears
by: bruce

4 year old boxer will not allow any one to medicate or clean his ears because of infection.
I talked the doctor to give me a sedaitive, "Aceprommazine," 75 mg for 80 lb dog. i was told after one hour he would be managable, it was more like two. I muzzeled him used "Gentle Leader" It was still a struggle but was able to clean and medicate his ears.

My Online Vet Response for: Yeast ear infection in a dog that won't allow ear drops

Hi Bruce,
Acepromazine is a phenothiazine derivative antipsychotic drug. In animals, it is commonly used as a very potent tranquilizer. And is mainly useful in calming anxious dogs. It does NOT decrease pain. And, according to pharmacology studies, "its potential for cardiac effects, namely hypotension, can be profound and as such is not recommended for use in geriatric or debilitated animals, especially dogs".

Also, you mentioned using the Gentle Leader as a muzzle. The Gentle Leader will NOT prevent your dog from biting you. It is NOT a muzzle.

I am not sure if you were asking a question, or only reporting what your experiences have been with your own dog. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).