Wierd Growth On Paw - Malignancy?

by Jen
(Shirley, NY)

Older photo taken a month ago

Older photo taken a month ago

My dog has had a raised pink growth on his paw for over a month. The vet does't know what it is.

Also, since having this, he has been itchy all over and was scratching the fur off himself in different spots.

He has taken antibiotics and I've tried dermagic. He is less itchy, but still scratching and the growth has gotten bigger.

The vet said he didn't have mange or a fungal infection.

The above picture is from a month ago, and I emailed you a picture that was taken today. It looks bigger now, and a little lighter.

Comments for Wierd Growth On Paw - Malignancy?

My Online Vet Response for Weird Growth on Paw

Hi Jen,
Comparing the two photos (the one on this page and the one you emailed), between last month and now it does appear that the growth/lesion is growing and changing in color. Those are some of the characteristics of a malignancy. (Other characteristics are change in consistency, and appearance of a drainage.)

You did not mention the age of your dog. There are some types of growths more common in young dogs, and are usually benign. If your dog is older than 4 or 5, then there are other types of growths that look similar to this one, such as mast cell tumors, which can be malignant.

Is your dog chewing it? You mentioned that he is itching more and scratching his fur off. Those are usually not symptoms of a bacterial or fungal infection, or mange. Therefore, antibiotics would not be effective, and I am not familiar with Dermagic.

Some growths/tumors are due to vaccinations, deficiencies in diet, chronic food allergies to preservatives, food colorings or additives or contact with toxins. Certainly consulting with a holistic veterinarian in your area, will help to improve your dog's health, address the cause of his itching, and perhaps pinpoint the cause of this growth, and what to do about it.

You might also check our Your Dog's Diet section to give you more information on what a healthy diet would be for your dog.

Same Symptoms

Hi Jen, did you ever figure out what was ailing your pup? I have a dog, she's 7-years-old, who's experiencing the exact symptoms.

Be Careful NEW

I wouldn't take any chances with little bumps. Most can be aspirated with a needle, and that is what I would have done, even if the vet "thinks it's nothing."

Joey has had 2 bumps - one was mast cell cancer, one was not.