Why does my dog have darkend spots and patches on his coat?

by Anthony
(Orlando, FL, USA)

My dog has darkened spots and patches on his coat. Under the dark areas the skin is a little red.

He is a 1 year old Pitt Bull. He is flea treated. His coat is a light brown but he has dark brown spots and patches on his lower back near his tail. The skin redness only appears underneath the dark areas.

I have been treating him with oatmeal shampoo and spray and it has relieved the itching, but its been a couple of weeks and he still has darkened areas on his coat.

What's wrong with him? How can I heal the dark areas and redness?

Comments for Why does my dog have darkend spots and patches on his coat?

My Online Vet Response to dog with darkened spots and patches on coat

Hi Anthony,
From the photo you sent, it is difficult to see if your dog has any hair loss along with the dark spots and patches. Also whether this problem is anywhere else on his body, such as on his head, front end, or in his armpits or abdomen.

Conditions that might cause this are numerous. Diseases such as Dog Mange (caused by a mite), ringworm (caused by a fungus), bacterial pyoderma, flea allergies, zinc deficiencies, or fatty acid deficieny, or other imbalances in diet, autoimmune diseases, or a reaction to a vaccine may be responsible.

Review this page about skin conditions: www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-skin-conditions.html

As you scroll down the page there is more information on diet.

But your best bet would be to find a holistic veterinarian in your area.

For more succinct advice, please provide us with more information (as mentioned above), and please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

Yes

He does lose a lot of hair when I brush him. The spots and patches are on his back only, especially near his tail. There are no spots or patches on his legs or stomach.

Does that give you a better idea?

My Online Vet Response to Dog with Darkened spots and patches on skin

Hi Anthony,
Thank you for the additional information. It is still difficult to narrow down the diagnosis, without more diagnostics, and a more in-depth history. Is he neutered? Did the condition start after the neutering? Did it start after a vaccination? What do you feed him? Did he have fleas, so that is why you had to do a flea treatment?

Giving the oatmeal shampoos, and a topical spray is only 'surface' treatment. I am glad that it does provide some relief, but it will not solve the entire problem.

Starting a raw natural dog food diet, with the gradual addition of Omega 3 fish oil supplements, will also help prevent the shedding and improve his coat. But a skin scraping, fungus culture, and total blood panel including a thyroid level, will be necessary to find out what is wrong.

A holistic veterinarian will also be able to treat him by improving his health, not just by giving cortisone or antibiotics, which are only short term suppressive or palliative treatments. Once he is healthier, then he will not attract fleas, since fleas are parasites, and are only attracted to 'weakened' or sick animals.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click on this link:

I hope this is helpful.

REPLY

He had fleas months ago but I'm treating him. Food shouldn't be a problem because I'm feeding him INNOVA large breed puppy formula. I heard it what the best. No he is not neutered, and he has not had vaccinations in months. What are the possibilities?

My Online Vet Response for Dog with darkened spots and patches on his coat

Hi Anthony,
He had fleas months ago, but he is now being treated- with what method? If you stopped the treatment, would the fleas return? As a graduate of the U of Florida School of Veterinary Medicine, I am very familiar with the problems that fleas can cause in Florida. Dark patches with redness in the skin over the hind quarters in a dog may still be flea allergy related.

He is on Innova puppy food- dry?? Innova dog food is a good brand. But if your puppy has been on this food, and he must be treated for fleas on a regular basis, and he loses his hair when you brush him, and has darkened spots with red patches on his skin, then I do not think that it is the best food for him. The best food would be a food that provides the right nutrients for his skin and hair coat, supports a healthy immune system, enough moisture for a shiny coat, and enough energy for growth of muscles and bones. A DRY dog food is not what I would recommend for your dog to get better. Refer back to my previous posts, and read some of the information under Food and Treats/your dog's diet.

He was vaccinated several months ago. Vaccinosis is a term that is used in Homeopathy to mean any ill effects that appear months to years after a vaccination has been given to a patient. A homeopathic remedy is necessary to treat vaccinosis.

At this point, I am unable to give you a diagnosis based on the photo that you submitted. Seeing a holistic veterinarian, for a physical exam would be your best option for a diagnosis, and planning the appropriate treatment.

Brown spots on skin with redspots

We are having the same problem with the added bonus of inside the arm pits with scabs.

I researched this for days and it is a yeast problem on the skin, and inside the ears and anal gland, plus a bacterial infection with scabs that when they fall off are brown underneath with red spots.

I started treating with peroxide on cotton balls, and it has worked wonders, NO MORE CORTISONE SHOTS. They treated her first for allergies (this is not the case). Over load of cortisone and antibiotics just like people (especially human females).

I hope this helps. There are also shampoos for yeast skin problems.

same problem
by: KK

My family just adopted a two year old pit bull that's the same color and he has these spots all over his torso and the top of his legs. He also has the red skin under where his white fur is. We don't think it's fleas because we do a flea treatment regularly. We have automatically assumed it's just bites from various bugs since he spends a lot of time in our woods.
When we got him he didn't have these spots or the red skin. He was neutered by his last owners.
We give him baths and take him for walks regularly.

My Online Vet Response for: Why does my dog have darkened spots and patches on his coat?

Dear KK,
I am not sure if you had a question in your comment or not. If you do, and wish some advice, then I'm happy to help. But we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

dark silky spots showing up in the hair. NEW
by: chico's mom

My dog has been experiencing a great deal of problems with itching, biting and scratching.
A visit to the vet ended up with antibiotics which the dog was allergic to and ended up with bad diarrhea.
Next, Epsom salt baths, Baking soda pastes, most recently benedril, childrens> The vet said it was ok for a 22 lb. dog to take full dosage however I am afraid of kidney damage.
He is still scratching, and now round circles of shiny black hairs are replacing his gray ones, the most predominant one being to the lower rear of one ear on right side of his face. He, and I, are going nuts attempting to figure this one out. I can't afford to keep going to the vet for trial and error things. Iam attempting to find them out online. I hope you can help. Thank you!

by: chico's mom

by: chico's mom

My Online Vet Response for: Why does my dog have darkened spots and patches on his coat? NEW

March 6, 2014

Dear Chico's Mom!

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

same problem NEW

My pit rescue has the same problem, but it started shortly after his was vaccinated and neutered. Came home on doxycillin and large doses of Prednisone. Treated for round worm then started with hair loss at nape of neck and traveled down ward and now lost all his hair. Skin is so dry and he scratches until he bleeds. gums went pale needed a blood transfusion, thyroid was ok , other labs ok. Tick panel done ok . Been to five different vets. $$$$$$$$$$$$ . Now on a strick diet of sweet potato and fish along with fish oil capsules.$$$$$$$$$$$. he also has some whitish dry drainage around his nose and very waxy ears. Very happy/playful and eats daily. my newest vet suggest a derm specialist for a 300 dollor skin scraping $$$$$$. I really love the little guy so I will get it done but really now a Holistic doctor. $$$$$$. 3000 so far for a rescue dog and no resolution. Should I join for a answer ??????? How much to subscribe????

My Online Vet Response for: Why does my dog have darkened spots and pathches on his coat? NEW

April 12, 2014

So sorry to hear about the pit bull rescue that you just adopted with so many health issues! That is really tough.

It is easy to sign up for questions on this site. Here is the link,
http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/ask-a-veterinarian.html
This page includes prices, and instructions on how to proceed. It is much less expensive than an office visit, but, please keep in mind, that I am limited in my answer, since I am not able to physically, examine him.