White Scab-Like Scratches on Dog Then Pinkish-Red Scab with No Fur

by Mark U.
(Chicago, IL)

Dog scab

Dog scab

I noticed white scab-like scratches on the back of my 2-yr old doxen, Kemba, so I wiped the scratches with a warm cloth. His fur just wiped off and all that was left is a pinkish-red scab.

His food has been the same brand of Science Diet "Small Bites" for about a month. He's had all of his up to date shots as of 12/28/12 and he's been a healthy dog his whole life.

After doing online research, it appears to be Ringworm. What would your determination be and what would you do to cure it or prevent further scabs?

Thank you,
Mark

Comments for White Scab-Like Scratches on Dog Then Pinkish-Red Scab with No Fur

My Online Vet Response for: White Scab-like Scratches on Dog Then Pinkish-Red Scab with No Fur

Hi Mark,
From the photo you sent of Kemba, 2 year old male Dachsund, with the red, hairless area on his hind quarters, it appears to look more like a 'hot spot'. If he is trying to lick or scratch this area, I would be more suspicious of a 'hot spot' than of ringworm. Ringworm is caused by a fungus and is NOT itchy. See our section on Ringworm here.

Of course, if Kemba is NOT scratching or licking this area, then it may be ringworm. It would be important to have this confirmed, since Ringworm, (Microsporum canis) is infectious to humans, dogs and cats. To confirm a diagnosis of ringworm, you will need to take Kemba to a veterinarian for a fungus culture and perhaps a skin scraping to also rule out mange.

In the meantime, I suggest that you improve his diet and NOT feed DRY dog food (you said you were feeding the Science Diet Small Bites). A canned diet or, better yet, a RAW diet would be SO much healthier. Especially to help treat skin problems.

In holistic medicine, you do not just treat by putting a cream on the skin, and expect everything to get better. You need to work from the *inside*. Improve the diet, perhaps add supplements, and above all else DO NOT vaccinate more often than every 3 years with any vaccine.

Seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian for diagnosis and ongoing treatment would be the best plan for Kemba.

Kemba hot spot
by: Mark U - Chicago

After 6 months, then hair on the hot spot has still not fully grown back but there have been no additional hot spots and Kemba seems like a healthy dog. I have not switched him over to wet dog food because multiple dog owners I have spoken to have said that wet dog food rots their teeth much quicker and especially when they get older. What would your opinion of that statement be? I did not end up bringing Kemba to the vet but I have not caught ring worm and I don't think Kemba has it either.
Thanks

Kemba hot spot
by: Mark U - Chicago

Thanks

My Online Vet Response for: White Scab-like Scratches on dog Then Pinkish-Red Scab with No Fur

June 14, 2013

Hi Mark,

After 6 months, then hair on the hot spot has still not fully grown back but there have been no additional hot spots and Kemba seems like a healthy dog. I have not switched him over to wet dog food because multiple dog owners I have spoken to have said that "wet dog food rots their teeth much quicker and especially when they get older". What would your opinion of that statement be? I did not end up bringing Kemba to the vet but I have not caught ring worm and I don't think Kemba has it either.

1. Canned AND Dry dog food will BOTH promote dental tartar!! That is a HUGE fallacy that dry dog food will clean dog's teeth. For tartar control to occur, the 'food' or 'treat' must be abrasive, such as a dental treat or raw bone, to help remove tartar as a dog chews on it.

2. Using multiple dog owners as your source of information, you will NOT learn the truth. Talk to a veterinarian to learn what will help keep a dog's teeth clean. (Which you have finally done!)

3. If Kemba's diet is not changed, you will NOT see any improvement in his skin. DRY dog food has NO moisture in it, and just providing water for him to drink is NOT enough. To help his skin heal you will need to change to a canned and/or RAW diet. And after each meal, you need to give him a tartar control chew treat to clean his teeth.