White of Dog's Eye is Blood-Red & Swollen

by Tamara W.
(Beacon, NY)

I believe my dog got scratched in the eye by my other dog who escaped the cage yesterday while we

were out of the house. The area is sore but the swelling has gone down - the red part is no longer swollen out of her eye lid but the lid of her eye is quite red and swollen.

I'm desperate to know if my baby is going to be ok or if I need to spend my rent money to take her to the vet. I am willing to do anything I can to help her at home.

Comments for White of Dog's Eye is Blood-Red & Swollen

My Online Vet Response for: White of Dog's eye is Blood-Red & Swollen

June 5, 2013

Hi Tamara,

From the photos you sent of your baby, she is NOT going to be ok with home treatments. PLEASE take her to an emergency veterinarian immediately. She has had severe head trauma causing her eye to come loose from the 'socket'.

Her cornea already looks dry, and I am afraid the optic nerve may have been irreversibly damaged, so she may have already lost the sight in that eye.

Use saline eye drops, (mix 1/4 tsp of sea salt in a cup of distilled or filtered water) use an eye dropper to rinse her eye continuously until she reaches a vet hospital.