White / Light Yellow, Crusty Discharge from Dog's Ear

by Sdominique

I am the owner of Lola, the dog with thrombocytopenia due to a reaction to an sulfa based antibiotic. I wrote to you a few weeks ago.

Today I noticed Lola scratching her ear, and I looked. She has a white / light yellow flaky, crusty discharge coming out of her ear, and I fear it's an infection.

I'm so overwhelmed I'm assuming her immune system might still be struggling.

I don't want to put her on antibiotics! Please help!

I've recently put her on a grain free organic canned food diet . I've ordered the immune boosting supplements that you have suggested they are on their way...

How can I treat this naturally?

Thank you!

Comments for White / Light Yellow, Crusty Discharge from Dog's Ear

My Online Vet Response for: White/Light Yellow, Crusty Discharge from Dog's Ear

January 10, 2015

Hi Sdominique,
From the photos of Lola's ear, I am suspicious this may be more of an inflammation secondary to yeast, rather than a bacterial infection.

Of course, the only way to know would be with a culture.

Rather than immediately starting on any antibiotic, perhaps a more 'natural' treatment, that would not interfere with her already precarious immune situation, would be the best course of action. Use apple cider vinegar on a gauze to wipe the underside of her ear flap, and drip 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar into her ear canal every other day for 2 weeks.