White bump on inner edge of my dog's ear

by Diana Jackson
(Los Angeles, CA USA)

On January 2nd we noticed that our dog had a white bump on the edge of his inner left ear. The bump is very hard and resembles a wart. It does not appear to be painful to our dog Trophy as we can touch it and gently squeeze it and he does not react like it is uncomfortable to him at all.

It has become just a tad bit bigger over the past 10 days which concerns us.

Trophy is an 11 month old male Rottweiller whose date of birth was 2/10/11.

Thank you in advance for any help you provide to us.

Diana

Comments for White bump on inner edge of my dog's ear

My Online Vet Response for: White bump on inner edge of my dog's ear

Hi Diana,
From the photos you sent of Trophy's ear and the information on his age, I suspect this white bump is a papilloma, commonly called a wart. Except that a papilloma is usually caused by a virus, and triggered by vaccinations. It is found in young dogs between the ages of 6 months and 2 years.

See our section on Dog Papillomas. As you scroll down that page there are some suggestions that you can try.

The ear is not a common place to find them. They are more often found closer to mucous membranes, such as the lip or tongue area. They tend to multiply, and grow larger, over several months, (looking very ugly!) then suddenly they will all disappear spontaneously.

If these 'warts' DO NOT disappear in a few months, a holistic veterinarian can help prescribe a homeopathic remedy to help with 'vaccinosis' and hasten the disappearance of these growths. Of course, she will also counsel you on diet and good nutrition and the hazards of 'over' vaccinations, avoiding toxic flea and tick products, etc.