White bump next to dog toe pad

by Merril
(Lawndale, California, USA)

My 19 month old golden retriever has a white and very hard bump next to his front left paw toe pad. It is about the size of a small pencil eraser. It looks like a big white head pimple, but is hard to the touch.

He is licking his paw, but not limping or favoring it. He is allowing me to touch it but is constantly licking it.

What could this be and is it something that I can take care of myself without having to go to the vet?

Thank you,

Merril

Comments for White bump next to dog toe pad

My Online Vet response to white bump next to dog toe pad
by: Dr. Lisa Brienen

Hello Merril,

The most likely possibility for this bump is a papilloma, although a (most likely benign) cyst is also possible. The therapies for each are slightly different.

Start with Homeopathic Thuja 30c - 3 pellets in 1/4 cup of spring water in a glass, stir and give 1 tsp. orally. Repeat once a day, stirring before each dose for 3 days. Then do not give any more remedy for 4 weeks.

To ease the discomfort you may soak the paw (or apply a compress) in strong green tea for 5 min twice daily. Another soothing mixture is 25% witch hazel and 75% aloe vera juice - they can be sponged on a few times a day.

Resolution of the lump may require longer waiting or a stronger or different remedy. If it is a cyst, the soak will help and if he has not been too uncomfortable during the 1 month waiting period, you can try a different remedy - Silicea 30c (prepared and administered as above).

A good dog food diet and dog dietary supplements will also help.

If he is chewing so much that he is damaging the tissues of his foot it is time to have a veterinarian take a look.

Please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking "click here to add your own comments" below.

Dr. Lisa Brienen

DISCLAIMER: This educational advice is based on the depth of your question. The above should never replace the advice of your local veterinarian, as they have the ability to evaluate your dog in person."

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Warts, Cysts and Strange Growths Section,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Paws, Toes & Dog Paw Pads Section