White area in corner of puppy's eye

by melinda
(hermosa beach CA)

Abby's eye

Abby's eye

I am fostering 5 puppies until adoption. I see a white area in the corner of the inside of one of my puppy's right eye. This just showed up yesterday.

Comments for White area in corner of puppy's eye

My Online Vet Response for White area in corner of puppy's eye

Hi Melinda,
Abby is such a cute little puppy!! From what I can see in the photo (which is not a 'close up view' of her eye), it looks like you are referring to the third eyelid. If this area is non-pigmented, and the third eyelid is partially raised, then it will look like a 'white area' in the inner corner of her eye.

It may be a 'cherry' eye, in which the gland of the third eyelid has prolapsed over the margin of the third eyelid. This happens when the cartilage holding the third eyelid rigid, becomes weak and 'floppy'. If there is any swelling in the gland, then it will push over the third eyelid with the weak cartilage. There does not seem to be any discomfort when this happens, but there may be more eye drainage, or redness of the gland because it is exposed.

It is important that puppies have a good wholesome, balanced diet that contains plenty of moisture. Not dry puppy food! I would advise both canned and some raw meat in the diet, along with fresh vegetables such as raw or steamed carrots, cooked green beans, baked yams, and steamed zucchini. NO RAW PORK or RAW FISH.

Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to help correct the problem with nutrition, dietary supplements (if needed), and possibly some homeopathic remedies.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here: find a holistic vet in your area

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Eye Problems Section,
- 10 Best Dog Food Options,
- Homemade Dog Food Recipes,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Food Diet - Dog Food, Dog Treats & Homemade Dog Food Recipes Section