Weird growth on my puppy's left leg

by Francis Lopez
(Secaucus, NJ, USA)

Our 1 yr 6 month old female Pekingese developed a growth/bump on her back left leg close to her genital area, but not so close is in the middle of her left before the bone that separates the leg and allows it to move.

It seems like it does not bother her at all, and we only noticed when yesterday we try to trim her hair and saw it. Last time I trimmed her (about 3 months ago) I did not noticed this growing thing that I though was a wart but I'm not sure.

My husband wanted to rip it off but I noticed it was pinkish and looks like skin at the bottom of it and said stop it may cause her to bleed and ruin the grooming for us so we trimmed over it and left it right where it was.

I initially though it was a wart caused by dirt she picks up from her walks because it is close to her genitals and she bends down every time she pees or poop , but the pictures on your page look different so I got confused. we do not have pet Insurance, and if is something as simple as a wart It may save us some money to ask you guys how we can treat this at home and the specific medicine and place to buy it. If we have no choice then the visit to the doctor may costs hundreds of dollars.

We got her from a breeder for about 800 dollars and she had done all her shots according to them and the paperwork. She has inside her body a chip that identifies her breeder if she gets lost.

We have taken her to the vet about three times since we got her. She was four months old when we bought her. The vet gave her a town rabies shot right away and one more a year later which was a few months ago.

She also had diarrhea and vomiting and we took her and they prescribed her antibiotics. They are very expensive, in total we have seen them 3 times since we acquired her..last visit was her second rabies shot like I said a few months ago.

Since we got her from a breeder a detailed explanation of her background was handed to us and we know she came from the state of Arkansas and we live in New Jersey. Her parents and her shot history was also handed to us. She had all her shots up to date - we only needed to give her the town rabies shot.

The only other new thing I though off was to buy that pharmacy over the counter wart remover (wart off) and place it right on the growth, see what happens. I love my dog very much and would like to get an opinion from an expert before I do this.

The picture posted is from tonight.

I hope that is enough information to help you figure out what the problem is and how we can help get rid of it.

Comments for Weird growth on my puppy's left leg

My Online Vet Response for: Weird growth on my puppy's left leg

Hi Francis,
From the photos you sent of the 'growth' on your 1.5 year old female Pekingnese, it appears to be either a 'corn' or a piece of plant material/sticker or thorn.

You can remove it by grasping it next to the base, apply some hydrogen peroxide to moisten and soften it, and then just pull it out. The hydrogen peroxide will act as an antiseptic and also control any bleeding.

If it becomes more inflamed, then take her in to a holistic veterinarian for further treatment. But I doubt you will have any further problems.

Also, I am not familiar with the term 'town' rabies shot. What are you referring to, saying 'town'?

Rabies vaccinations are made from a killed virus, and the immunity lasts for 8-10 years or for the entire life of the animal. Most states require that a rabies vaccine be given every 3 years. If an animal is not healthy, then they should not be vaccinated, and it is best to obtain an exemption form to delay the vaccine one to two years or until they ARE healthy. A holistic veterinarian can write an exemption form.