Warts Under Chin - Papilloma Virus Caused By Vaccinosis

by Chelsea
(Ottawa, ON, Canada)

Sasha - Chin warts

Sasha - Chin warts

My 11 month old puppy Sasha, a purebred Hungarian Vizsla, has developed a cauliflower-like wart beneath her chin that appears to have grown in size.

I first noticed it almost two months ago and at the time it was slightly black in color but I chalked that up to scabbing because it had been bleeding.

It seemed to be going down in size but has recently come back even larger than before and is accompanied by what appears to be the beginnings of a new wart. They are nowhere else on her body, only these two under her chin.

It doesn't seem to bother her. Since it's under her chin, she can't really nip at it athough she does occasionally scratch it by accident with her hind paw.

Is there anything that I can do to treat it or will it go away on its own? Are there precautions that I should be taking myself when handling her?

I've read that these can be common in puppies and can go away within a couple of months. I've also read that I can apply vitamin E oil to it to soften it up. I have an all purpose natural gel, brand name Nature's Aid, that contains Tea tree oil, witch hazel, rosemary, aloe vera and vitamin E that I am considering applying.

I appreciate any advice that you can offer me.

Comments for Warts Under Chin - Papilloma Virus Caused By Vaccinosis

My Online Vet Response

Hi Chelsea,
Thank you for your question about warts in your 11 month old puppy. This is caused by the papilloma virus and holistically is considered to be a sign of 'vaccinosis', meaning that warts will commonly appear after vaccinations have been given. The warts are not contagious to you or to other dogs.

There is no need to apply anything topically to the warts. If she does scratch them and cause them to bleed, some of the wart particles will get into her tissues and antibodies will be created to fight them. These antibodies will help make the wart go away.

If they do not go away and new warts continue to appear, there are some very specific homeopathic remedies that are used to treat warts caused by vaccinosis. One remedy is called Thuya. You should call a holistic veterinarian to guide you towards the correct potency and frequency for your dog. (It is given orally, not topically.) See our dog vet care page to locate a holistic veterinarian in your area.

After this, I would be very cautious regarding future 'booster' vaccinations. See our vaccination recommendations for more appropriate vaccination schedules by age.

Good luck with Sasha, and please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.