Warts On My 13 Year Old Dog

by Lyn
(Southern Utah, USA)

One wart

One wart

My 13 year old 15 pound poodle has a dozen warts that she is licking all the time. In addition, recently her throat seems affected.

Her diet consists of boiled hamburger/brown rice topped with Healthy Powder: nutritional yeast, lechtin, calcium, kelp, vitamin C.

She has been blind for past couple years.

She gets diarrhea if I feed her anything other than the above.

What would be useful for soothing the irritation of the warts, and do I need to do something about the throat and her snoring/semi-labored breathing (more at night)?

Thanks

Comments for Warts On My 13 Year Old Dog

My Online Vet Response for Warts on my 13 year old Dog

Hi Lyn,

Warts are commonly seen in older dogs, and especially can be more of a problem in breeds that need to be groomed (clippers may cut the wart and cause bleeding). Warts can also trigger an 'itch' response, making the dog lick or scratch the area which also makes it bleed or get infected.

In homeopathy, warts are commonly associated with over vaccination. These warts that are concerning you and causing your dog to lick them are more "superficial" problems. And turning to conventional means of removing all of them will only trigger new ones to appear.

The throat condition, causing labored breathing or snoring, may be laryngeal paralysis or may be due to dental disease causing swelling of the throat area. (How do her teeth look? How are her ears?)

Then, the need for a restricted diet (any changes cause diarrhea) is more deep-seated. And you mentioned that she has been blind for several years. (Cataracts? Retinal degeneration?) These are also symptoms of chronic disease.

Her diet sounds like you have done some research in an attempt to get her better, making up the Healthy Powder is a recipe from Dr Richard Pitcairn's book, Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats. He is a well known veterinary homeopath.

(continued below)

My Online Vet Response (continued)

(continued from above)

Just applying aloe vera juice, or Cloud Nine ointment by Halo, to the warts to 'soothe' them, is only palliating her problem. Seeking out the help of a homeopathic veterinarian in your area to address all of her symptoms, including the warts would be the best approach.

In the meantime, bathing her once a week with an oatmeal shampoo may help to decrease her itching and help reduce the bacterial load on her skin, keeping her skin cleaner.

And stop all vaccinations. Inside every package of vaccine, there is an insert that states, 'to be administered to healthy animals only'. Your dog is not healthy, and it may be due to too many vaccines that contributed to her current condition.