Wart-Like Growth in Dog's Gum Line

by Karen
(New York, NY, USA)

Three days ago I noticed a pea-sized growth just below my dogs lower teeth, in the gums. It appeared so fast. It looks like a wart, but I don't know if I should take her to the vet or not.

Her name is Maddy, I adopted her from a rescue shelter. She is a Papillon/Sheltie mix, about 17 months old and weights 11 lbs.

As you can imagine, I'm concerned. Can you identify what this growth is based on the pictures? If so, is it something I can treat at home or do you recommend I take her to the vet?

Comments for Wart-Like Growth in Dog's Gum Line

My Online Vet Response to Wart-like growth in dog's gum line

Hi Karen,
Maddy does have an oral wart. The technical name is Oral Papillomatosis. It is commonly seen after vaccinations.

It will eventually go away on its own, but you may see new ones appear before they all go away.

Oral papillomatosis is a contagious disease (it is not contagious to humans) caused by a virus that produces growths or warts in the mouth and or the tongue, lips, eyelids and nose. The growths appear about one month after the animal contracts the virus. Dogs under 4 years of age are most commonly affected.

Warts are pinkish white and generally quite small, though they may occur in clumps, giving a cauliflower-like appearance. Generally these warts do not affect the animal's health unless their size or location interferes with the animal's ability to eat or breathe.

The disease usually does not recur, and recovered animals are usually immune.

To make sure her immune system is strong, it would be best to make sure she is on a good wholesome diet. Check out our page on the 10 Best Dog Food Options.

It would be best to only give the minimal vaccinations. See our Dog Vaccination Schedule page for more information.

A local holistic veterinarian would be able to guide you along, if the wart does not go away.

Incubation Period
by: Karen

Thank you Dr.Tillman,

Can you tell me how long Maddy will be contagious for? Is she contagious for as long as the wart is visible? I'm assuming I need to isolate her from playing with other dogs. Can I apply something like liquid band-aid over the wart to prevent another dog catching the virus?

Maddy is very active at the dog park and I don't want her to pass the virus along to other dogs.

Thank you,
Karen

My Online Vet Response for Wart-Like Growth in Dog's Gum Line

Hi Karen,
Maddy will be contagious until you notice the wart is shrinking. In the meantime, she may develop more warts before this one goes away over the next 2-3 months. (I have seen some warts present for 6 months before the owner came in for help!)

Liquid band-aid is not that useful in animals. And it is by contact with other dogs that she will spread the virus. Especially, when dogs 'wrestle', and are grabbing the same ball, or toy, and their mouths come into contact. If she just passes by a dog, she will not be contagious.

If you seek out a holistic veterinarian, you may be able to shorten that time, and get her 'healthy' at the same time. There had to be a weakness in her immune system (disease) that made her susceptible to developing this wart. Therefore, it would be best for Maddy to make her as healthy as possible, with a good wholesome diet, minimal vaccinations, holistic veterinary care and lots of love!

Treatment
by: Karen

Thank you Dr. Tillman! I have made a trip to my favorite holistic pet store in Manhattan. Bill set me up with the following three products:

• U.S Animal of Vermont OLI-250 -supports immune response function

• RX Vitamins For Pets Immuno Support

• Washington Homeopathic Products - Thuja Occ 30C for warts

With this, I'm hoping to suppress additional warts from popping out and decrease the duration of the one she has. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks again, Dr. Tillman.

All the best,
Karen

wart gum line
by: Mindy

My dog Mo has something similar but it does not look like a wart or like that picture... it's a large pea shape but pink like her gum does not seem to bother her.

Any advice?

Wart Like Growth In Dogs Gumline
by: Karen

Hi Mindy,I have to tell you, with the naked eye I did not know Maddy's growth looked like this. It was only when I took the close-up picture that I could see all the detail. Maddy's was pink as well and then turned a grayish color. If you have a digital camera I suggest you take a picture so you can see a close-up view of it.

I found Dr Tillman to be very helpful and she was spot on with her diagnosis. Although I'm not a vet I'm happy to to answer any questions about Maddy's experience with this virus.

All the best,
Karen

mouth growth

Hi, my dogs get the same thing, although some of them repetitively. We live in a 3rd world country and their immune systems are usually bad from birth. Can I cut the wart off?
C in Nicaragua

Wart Like Growth in Dogs Mouth
by: Karen

Hello C, no no no, don't cut it off yourself. Although I am not a vet,I was told there is no health risk the dog. If you cut it off yourself you will risk infection and a huge amount of pain for your dog. You will cause much more harm to your dog, just let it go away by itself. Be patient, sometimes it can take a few months. When its ready it will shrink in size and fall off.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

5 dogs- 2 warts
by: Mandie

I came across this first when I googled wart like growth on dog's gum line. The pic of Maddy's looks EXACTLY like what my little dog Annabelle has. Except she hasn't had any vaccines since last year (she's due Dec) and is an indoor dog that never comes in contact with other dogs other than the one's she lives with. I noticed it 3 days ago so of course after reading the post I was like, "well then HOW did she contract it?" Then today, I notice a tiny wart like bump in the middle of my foster dog's nose (who is supposed to be meeting a potential adopter AND her dog in two days). Uh-oh...
To top it off, I have 3 more living here as well. I know it said they usually show the warts about a month after being infected, and I remembered my other dog (just now while typing) had one show up on the end of his snout below his nose a while (over a month) ago that ended up going away. So I know they said that more can show up before they go away, but once they DO all go away, can they just keep reinfecting each other or is it just a one time thing they get? If so, then I guess my only option is to keep them all 'quarantined' at home from other dogs till they all cycle.

Wart-like Grown in Dog's Gum Line

My dog has the exact same problem. Her's developed a couple of weeks after receiving her annual 5 vaccinations. This has not occurred before. She is now six years old. Her vet told us that it would not go away on its own and needed to be removed surgically. From what I gather from this vet, in this article, it will go away on its own. So who literally is correct?

wart-like growth in dogs gum line
by: Karen

It can take up to 3 months to go away. Since its not life threatening to your dog, I would wait it out to see if it will go away on its own. Personally, I would not want to put my dog through surgery unless absolutly necessary. But you must be patient. Did you read Dr. Tillman's response to me? her diagnosis explains everything in great detail.

Second Growth inside Max's mouth
by: Karina

My dog Max who is seven months had one removed a little bit over a month ago, today while I was playing with him I noticed 2 more growing in the same area (palate). His first surgery cost us around 100 dollars and at this point we don't know if we should go for another one or just wait and see what happened.

Growth or a wart

My name is Jackie,and 8years ago I got my boxer his name is Kato and and a couple of days ago I discovered a growth on his lower gums and it scared me so much I love my dog so much and ill do anything for him at first I didn't want to take him to the vet cuz I'm terrified on what he will tell me its something bad but I know its not fair to my kato so this coming week we are going to the vet to find out what it is he has so they can treat it asap.

Wart-like growth in dog's upper gum line
by: Alma

Hi, my dog Boogie has the same growth on his upper gum line and under his lower front teeth. I got scared of what they might be. I hope any one could tell me if this can be treated at home or if I have to take him to the vet.

wart like growth in dogs gum line
by: Karen

Hi Alma, Sorry to hear about Boogie. Go to the top of this string to my original comment. Dr. Tillman and I have a back and forth dialog that will explain everything. Our original dialog date is in August 2010.

The long short of it is that oral warts are not uncommon and will go away by themselves. They will shrink and fall off, but this will take a couple of months so you need to be patient.

If you are in Manhattan stop by Whiskers on East 9th Street (they have a website). I gave Maddy some immune boosters to try help shorten the time.

It's important to keep her away from other dogs as she is contagious and I'm sure you don't want to pass it around.

It's a couple of years later now and she has never had another one. Hope this helps. Karen

Is it contagious to cats and other species NEW

Hi I have a three year old German Shepard named Harley who seems to have a similar growth on her gums. Now while I wish to get her to the vet as soon as I can it might not be till next week. I wish to ask if it is contagious to other animals as I also own a cat and a chinchilla.

Thank you for your time

Wart-Like Growth in Dog's Gum Line NEW
by: Karen

It will eventually go away on its own, but you may see new ones appear before they all go away. Oral papillomatosis is a contagious disease (it is not contagious to humans) caused by a virus that produces growths or warts in the mouth and or the tongue, lips, eyelids and nose. The growths appear about one month after the animal contracts the virus. Dogs under 4 years of age are most commonly affected.Warts are pinkish white and generally quite small, though they may occur in clumps, giving a cauliflower-like appearance. Generally these warts do not affect the animal's health unless their size or location interferes with the animal's ability to eat or breathe.The disease usually does not recur, and recovered animals are usually immune.

Wart-Like Growth in Dog's Gum Line NEW
by: Karen

Wart-Like Growth in Dog's Gum Line NEW
by: Karen

Wart like, in ear NEW

My dog has a similar looking wart but it is not in the mouth it's right on the edge of her ear. Is it similar in it will go away on its own?

Thank you! NEW
by: Quanita Taurua

Thanks so much for your comments, my dog has the same thing, a wart like growth on his mouth and then I looked today and he also has one inside his mouth and is gagging and acting a bit strange at times but I'm guessing its just a bit uncomfortable when he eats.
Thanks for the info, I will keep an eye on it over the next few months and hopefully they will shrink and disappear as you say.

Kind regards
Quanita

My dog has ine too NEW

I just noticed my dog has one too on her gum line. She is a very social dog and avid dog park enthusiast so she will really miss her visits, three months is a longtime not to be able to go...Can the vet give her anything to make it go away faster?

wart=like growth in dogs gum line NEW

The wart will last 2-3 months and will be contagious until it begins to shrink.

I went to my local holistic pet store and they gave me a few items in the hopes of suppressing additional warts and reduce the duration. I don't believe the vet can give you anything, but it couldn't hurt to make a phone call and ask.

Good luck...and be patient. Karen

wart=like growth in dogs gum line NEW

Good luck...and be patient. Karen