Wart on Lip of Cockapoo Dog

by Lynnette
(Calgary, Canada)

I have a male Cockapoo who is 1 3/4 years old and has a growth on his lip. Chewy was purchased from a Pet Store when he was 10 weeks old. He now weighs about 17 pounds, is fully vaccinated and is very healthy otherwise.

He goes to Doggy Daycare 2-3 times a week and has to have Revolution applied once a month as per the daycare rules.

I have been to my vet to look at the growth and he said it was a canine wart and would start to disappear in a few weeks. It showed up around Oct 23/14 and seems to be getting bigger and changing shape a bit.

It is dark and comes out of his lip and seems to look dry and cakey. It almost looks like another tooth sticking out from his lip. It doesn't seem to bother him but I'm concerned it might be something else as it has changed a bit since the beginning.

Could you tell me what you think? Thanks.

Comments for Wart on Lip of Cockapoo Dog

My Online Vet Response for: Wart on Lip of Cockapoo Dog

November 13, 2014

Hi Lynette,
From the photos of your cockapoo, this growth looks like a wart. See our page on Dog Warts, Young dogs between the ages of 6 months to 2 years, can develop wart like growths called 'papillomas'. These appear around and in the mouth, on the lips, tongue, and gums.

You can apply olive oil or coconut oil to soften this growth. By massaging this on the growth, you may cause some of the dry segments to rub off, and make it smaller. This has probably developed secondary to the vaccines that he received. There are some homeopathic remedies that are useful for treating 'vaccinosis', as this is called by holistic veterinarians. Thuya (Thuja occidentalis) and Sulphur are two very good remedies.

A holistic veterinarian can help provide you with the best remedy, and determine the correct potency that should be used, after a thorough exam. And I would be very cautious about giving any future vaccinations. A holistic veterinarian can write an exemption form to avoid future vaccines.

He should also be on a healthy diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog food Options,,and consider feeding him a raw diet. But do not feed raw fish or raw pork.