Wart on dogs tail

by Rosemary
(San Diego, CA)

Oreo's growth 001

Oreo's growth 001

Oreo's growth 001
Oreo's growth 002
Oreo's growth 003

About two months ago Oreo, our 10 year old spaniel mix, developed a growth on her tail. Its approximately 1/2" in diameter and is located on the top side of her tail about 2 inches down from her back.

It appeared very suddenly and did not seem to bother her. In researching online it seemed to fit the description of either a wart or a mast cell tumor.

Upon a visual evaluation the vet "thought" that it was just a wart. To put my mind at ease I took our dog back to the vet and asked her to take a fine needle aspirate. The results confirmed that the growth was a wart. Whew!! She advised us that if it didn't bleed or bother Oreo then no action was needed.

For the past two weeks Oreo has occasionally been biting at the growth and has caused a small amount of bleeding. She is a healthy active 32 pound dog. People think she is 2 or 3 years old - she's very social & frisky and will chase her beloved tennis ball from now until forever!

We're looking for advice on how to best manage the growth. Should it be surgically removed? Is there medication the treat it?

Comments for Wart on dogs tail

My Online Vet Response for Wart on Dog's Tail

Hi Rosemary,
From the photos you sent of Oreo, it most definitely looks like a wart. As a holistic veterinarian, I like to treat my whole patient, not just the wart. If you surgically remove it, or use a cream, Oreo could start to develop more warts.

The founder of homeopathy, Dr. Hahnemann, states in Dr. Beukelaer's book, that "he could not accept that patients' illnesses reappeared after a length of time. He wanted his patients to be cured in the real sense of the word: relieved of their disease and exempt from a relapse of the disease or replacement of the disease by another.
He wanted them to be healthier than before he was called out to them." Thus he developed the homeopathic prescription technique that aims at achieving the best possible results for each patient.

So, in Oreo's case, there was something that triggered his body to produce this wart. Perhaps it was an emotional trigger. Was there a significant change for your family? Move to a new house? Adopt a younger dog?? Perhaps it was an environmental trigger, such as a recent vaccination? Application of a flea or tick product?

The goal of a holistic practitioner is to take the history, do a physical examination, find out Oreo's likes and dislikes, his personality 'quirks'... in general, find out what his constitutional 'make-up' is. Then prescribe a homeopathic remedy, not just to make the wart go away, but for Oreo's whole constitution! So, not only will the wart go away, but Oreo will be HEALTHIER!

(see our page on Alternative Medicine for Dogs for additional details regarding a holistic approach to treatment)

Therefore, we need to look at everything about Oreo:

(response continued below)

Part 2 - My Online Vet Response to Wart on Dog's Tail

If you are interested, there are some fascinating books about homeopathic medicine: Dr Richard Pitcairn's book, Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, Flat Earth Medicine, by Dr. Timothy Dooley, and Homeopathy, What to Expect? by Edward De. Beukelaer, DVM.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

Cauliflower Wart
by: amipup

My Golden Retriever got this on his lip. I went to our local Homeopath at the pet store and she game a few tiny pills (cost me 4.00) and it was gone withing the week.
Hope this is helpful to you.

pills NEW

Alipup
what were the pills?