Wart on Dog's Lower Eyelid

My 2 1/2 year old Brazilian mastiff, Liam, has developed what looks like a wart on his right lower eye lid. It showed up about two months ago.

I assumed he had bumped his eye and it was just a scab so I scraped it off. It bled a bit and grew back in about two weeks.

It also appears there is another one developing. It doesn't seem to cause him any discomfort and I haven't noticed any significant changes in his day to day behavior.

Comments for Wart on Dog's Lower Eyelid

My Online Vet Response for Wart on Dog's Lower Eyelid

Hi,
Liam has two different conditions. One is a growth arising from the meibomian gland. It is benign and does appear similar to a wart.

The other raised bump is called a chalazion, and is a 'clogged' meibomian gland. The meibomian gland is the gland that provides some moisture to the eyelashes along the eyelids.

Both are painless and won't cause a problem unless they grow so large as to rub on the cornea and irritate the eye.

Conventional vets would remove the growth surgically and lance the chalazion... temporary treatments that will lead to a return of the problems. The 'deeper' treatment addresses what caused these in the first place. The most common reason is 'vaccinosis', a condition created due to vaccinations given during puppyhood or inherited from vaccines given to the mother.

Several homeopathic remedies treat this condition. A local holistic vet would be able to determine which remedy would be the best one to use. In the meantime, make sure that Liam is on the healthiest diet possible (see our best dog food list and raw dog food diets).

A raw diet would be the healthiest, but decrease the DRY FOOD at a minimum. Too much DRY FOOD is NOT healthy at all. Other dog dietary supplements are available for a healthy coat and skin (which includes the skin around the eyes), including Omega 3 fish oil for dogs. Since Liam is a Brazilian Mastiff, the same size as a human, he could take a human dose of 1,000-2,000mg daily.

Be very cautious about giving future vaccinations. This is a matter to be discussed with a holistic vet, especially if an exemption form is needed.

Click here to find a local holistic vet.

upper eyelid wart
by: Bev

Hi,

Read about the dog with the lower eyelid warts. My dog has one on the upper eyelid. He has a very sensitive stomach and so i cannot follow your instructions by giving him a raw diet and omega oil. He is extremely sensitive when I tried to give him the oil. bad gastric upsets. He also has very dry skin. Please tell me how I can strengthen his immune system and then what to do about his wart. Thanks.

My Online Vet Response for:Wart on Dog's Lower Eyelid

Hi Bev,
Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).