Veggie Delight Dog Food Recipe

by Dawn Bennett
(Oregon)

Grains:

2 cups uncooked brown rice
1 cup millet
2 cups long cook oats
1/2 cup ground flax seed do not cook

Cook grains per instructions, put in large bowl to cool.

Beans:
4 cups 21 bean mix (bought in bulk)
1 cup barley
3 cloves garlic chopped

Put all ingredients in large pot cover with water bring to a boil turn off and let sit for one hour
after one hour rinse beans and put back in pot cover with water and cook for one hour or until beans are tender. drain and mix into grains.

Vegetables:
Always 3 sweet potato's then you can add broccoli cauliflower carrots zucchini anything you have in the house usually equals 5 cups of veggies. I put the veggies through the food processor and chop it or you can do it by hand.

I use a steamer and steam for 15 minutes but you can sauté in 1/8 cup of olive oil in a large skillet for about 15 minutes, mix with other ingredients and you are done.

This feeds my 2 dogs for 5 days 1 dog eats 1 1/4 cup per meal the other 1 3/4.

If you want to make smaller portions just make sure you use 1/3 of each group.

Comments for Veggie Delight Dog Food Recipe

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
dog vitamins
by: Dawn

Make sure if you choose to use this diet to include a good dog multi-vitamin or supplement. There are things that the dogs need daily they can not get from veggies. I like these they are well balanced and have every thing your dogs need. These were the only ones I could find that did not include meat There is one with glucosamine that will help with the hips.

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
changed veggie delight
by: Dawn

Veggie Delight Dog Food Revised.

grains
3 cups quinoa
rinse quinoa well before cooking
cook grains per instructions.

beans
3 cups beans of your choice uncooked black, white or pinto
1 cup split peas
put all ingredients in large pot cover with water bring to a boil turn off and let sit for one hour
after one hour rinse beans and put back in pot and cook for one hour or until beans are tender. drain and mix into quinoa.

vegetables
always 3 sweet potato's then you can add broccoli cauliflower carrots zucchini anything you have in the house usually equals 6 cups of veggies. 4 cloves of garlic chopped. I put the veggies through the food processor and chop it or you can do it by hand Then sauté in 1/4 cup of olive oil in a large skillet for about 15 minutes
mix with other ingredients and you are done.

I know this sounds like a lot of work but after you do it a couple of times the whole thing takes about 2 1/2 hours. While you are waiting for things to cook you can make doggie cookies.

Doggie Cookies
2 cups of oat or brown rice flour
1 cup old fashion oats
1 cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
4 tablespoons ground flax seed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup unsulfered molasses
2 eggs with 1/4 cup milk or water

Mix all dry ingredients together in large bowl. Mix all wet ingredients in small bowl . Then mix
both together and knead together for a few minutes. let dough sit for 30 minutes, then put on greased 17x11x 1 inch cookie sheet and roll out to fill cookie sheet. Cut in even squares and then bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
In response to

Well thank you,(: can you send menthe updated recipe with the seeds your talking about. I'm mostly worried about my dogs getting sick over time from the harmful foods the government force feeds us=| so I want a pure healthy food that will also help protect my Germans hips, they are known for their hips problems unfortunatly, maybe you can help me though?

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
veggie delight, made a change in the recipe
by: Dawn

I discovered quinoa and realized that it was a much better grain. Well not a grain but a seed full of protein, more digestible and less likely to cause allergies. I took out all other grains. The dogs seem to love it.

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
veggie dog food
by: Dawn

MY dogs are 70 lbs. I feed him 2 cups per meal and 1 is 40 lbs dog is fed 1 1/4 per meal. It all depends on the energy level and keeping the weight where you want it. My 70 lb dog was over weight on the same amount of kibble but lost weight on this amount of food which he needed. My 40 lb dog did not loose an ounce. Their teeth also stayed clean on this diet a nice side effect

Rating
starstar
Curious
by: Krista

How big are your dogs because I have two German Shepard dogs they are large, how much would I need to feed them a day?

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Homemade Dog Food Recipes.