Urinary Tract Infection, Blood in Dog's Urine

by Jim
(Metamora, IN)

My 2 year old pit bull mix started peeing more frequently a couple days ago and looked like she was straining to pee also. This morning there is blood in her urine and I am concerned.

Should I schedule a immediate vet visit or can I treat this with parsley, cranberry, I do have cranberry pills just don't want to do anything or wait to long and make things worse.

Prior to this she was peeing normally but sometimes had a funky smell in that area. She is spayed.

Thanks,

Jim

Comments for Urinary Tract Infection, Blood in Dog's Urine

My Online Vet Response For: Urinary Tract Infection, Blood in Dog's Urine

Hi Jim,
Regarding your 2 year old Pit bull:

"can I treat this with parsley, cranberry, I do have cranberry pills just don't want to do anything or wait to long and make things worse.

Prior to this she was peeing normally but sometimes had a funky smell in that area. She is spayed."

This is not an emergency situation, but it would be best to take her in for an exam, and have a urinalysis done sooner rather than later.

She may have a bladder infection plus vaginitis, or just a bladder infection. A conventional veterinarian may want to start antibiotics, but I do not think that is always indicated. Treating her holistically would be the healthiest.

In the meantime, start her on a Cranberry concentrate. (one brand Cran-actin is a good one, give her 1/2 the human dose two times daily)

NO DRY DOG FOOD. It would be best to feed her canned and/or a RAW diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html.

She may also need a homeopathic remedy to treat the symptoms of frequent urination with bloody urine. Calcarea, Belladonna, Phosphorus, or Thuya might be some remedies to consider. But a physical exam to check for a vaginitis, and also to check a urinalysis, would help differentiate the best remedy.

And under NO circumstances give her a vaccination!