Ugly oozing dog warts

by Anne
(New Jersey)

My Maltese has many warts on his body but the one that bothers me is a very large wart on his shoulder that constantly bleeds. The vet says he can remove it but that doesn't mean it wouldn't cause other warts to appear in or around the area.

It looks like it may be bothering him every so often. I believe the smaller one on his paw is more annoying to him than the large one that we all find annoying. We constantly keep it clean, but is there any other solution besides surgery? Is there a way to shrink it?

Comments for Ugly oozing dog warts

My Online Vet Response for Ugly oozing dog warts

Hi Anne,
Yes, there are a few things that you can start on at home to help your Maltese with his wart problem.

First, clip away the hair that is around the bleeding wart that is on his shoulder. Clean the wart with hydrogen peroxide two times daily, and after cleaning apply (1x ointment) two times daily for THREE weeks.

Once that ONE wart is responding to treatment, drying up and getting smaller, then decrease the cleaning and treat it ONE time daily and also apply the ointment to the other warts. If he has too many warts (and I am assuming that he is an older dog), it will be difficult for his 'Vital Force' to combat a response to so many at one time.

Therefore, START your treatment on only the WORST wart. Once he is starting to heal, after 3 weeks, or maybe take 3-6 weeks working on only the one wart, THEN start to apply the ointment to the other warts.

Of course, you need to make sure that he is on a healthy diet, with good nutrition. NO DRY DOG food. Try one of these raw dog food diets.

It would also be prudent to STOP vaccinating him. It is very common for the accumulation of vaccines over a dog's lifetime to contribute to the development of what is called 'vaccinosis'. One of the MAIN symptoms of vaccinosis is the appearance of warts!

You may want to consult with a holistic veterinarian near you that also practices homeopathy. A holistic veterinarian will work to find the 'constitutional' homeopathic remedy that is given orally to help improve the health of your dog, not only to remove the warts, but also to improve the mental and emotional status of your dog and his overall health. The holistic veterinarian will also help in writing an exemption form to stop vaccinations.

Please keep us posted by clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

what is 1x ointment

1 x ointment? What kind of ointment?

My Online Vet Response for: Ugly Oozing Dog Warts

April 22, 2015

Thank you for your question! No one else noticed my error in 4 years!!

The ointment is called Thuya, and comes from the white cedar. And the potency is 1X. It is very effective treating warts, growths, tumors, etc.

It is also available in an 'oral' fir