Two papillomas or cysts on dog's chest and belly are changing color and growing

by Jessica
(San Gabriel, California )

first bump taken on 9/2012

first bump taken on 9/2012

first bump taken on 9/2012
first bump taken on 10/2012
second bump taken on 9/2012

My 7 year old fixed male Yorkshire Terrier/Pomeranian mix has two growths on his chest/belly. I have brought him to two different local vets and was advised it was either a papillomas or cyst and was told to monitor it.

The first one surfaced about over 2 years ago and is about 1 cm. It is soft to the touch and I can move it around. It is located on the lower right side of his belly. I have been taking pictures of his bumps once a month and this time I noticed the bump changing in color. There seems to be some grayish color on it.

The second one surfaced about 5 months ago and it is about ½ cm. It is hard to the touch but it has not grown for the past couple of months. It is located on his chest under his right arm.

Earlier this year (February 2012), he had his teeth cleaned and a blood panel/organ test performed. The results all came back fine. He eats and acts very normal. I have always fed him holistic food and recently switched him to raw diet (Stella and Chewy). Recently, as a supplement I also give him fish oil, spirulina, Taurine, and L-Carnitine.

Please advise if I need to have his bumps removed. The reason why I am hesitant is because I do not want to put him under again and so far the vets I have seen all give me such short explanations which leave me more confused. Thank you for all your help.

Comments for Two papillomas or cysts on dog's chest and belly are changing color and growing

My Online Vet Response for: Two papillomas or cysts on dog's chest and belly are changing color and growing

Hi Jessica,
From the photos you submitted I agree with your veterinarians' opinion that these are benign warts. The color change indicates this wart is becoming more mature, and 'keratin' layers on surface of wart are thicker.

At 7 years old, that is not that old for a Toy breed, but the presence of warts at any age indicates a syndrome called 'vaccinosis'. This is term used in holistic medicine to describe what can occur after vaccinations are given to a susceptible individual.

I understand your desire to avoid unnecessary surgery and anesthesia for a benign condition. And in these situations it is MUCH healthier to follow a holistic route to treat vaccinosis and make these warts go away, and prevent the appearance of new ones.

1. Diet--you have already improved his diet! And the supplements you have started sound good.

2. No more vaccinations--a holistic veterinarian can write an exemption form to prevent future vaccinations.

3. Homeopathic remedies to treat vaccinosis based on the individual and his symptoms. See our page on homeopathy for dogs to learn more about homeopathy.

4. No toxic flea or tick products. Check our page on Dog Flea treatment.