Treatment for Dog Bitten By Other Dog

by Gina
(Guaynabo, Puerto Rico)

Poodle Bit in the Neck by Pit Bull

Poodle Bit in the Neck by Pit Bull

My 12lb toy poodle was attacked by a Pit bull mix dog. His injuries are around the neck. I took him to the emergency room where they gave him Rymadyl .5, Penicillin .75, and Baytril .30.

They wanted to put some drainage in his neck for his swelling. I did not think it was necessary so I got a second opinion. The second Vet agreed with me didn't think it was necessary and just bandage him up and sent him home with Famotidine 20mg, Metacam 1.5mg/ml, and Clavamox Drops.

What do you think of all these meds? And what can I do additionally to speed the healing process?

Thanks, Gina

Comments for Treatment for Dog Bitten By Other Dog

My Online Vet Response For: Treatment for Dog Bitten By Other Dog

November 11, 2013

Hi Gina,
It is difficult to see the extent of the injuries since there is a large bandage around his neck. The first veterinarian gave Rimadyl=anti-inflammatory, and two different antibiotics.

The second veterinarian gave Metacam=anti-inflammatory, Famotidine=antacid (to prevent stomach upset from the anti-inflammatory) and an antibiotic.

Apparently, there was a lot of swelling since BOTH veterinarians gave something for inflammation. Was there a lot of bruising? Was there any neurologic damage? Were there major punctures? How is the toy poodle behaving now? Is he cowering in fear due to post traumatic stress syndrome? Or is he acting more bright and alert, now that the traumatic incident is over?

Knowing these symptoms would help me to choose the appropriate homeopathic remedy to give. My first instinct would be to give Arnica, as this remedy is the best one for acute trauma with bruising and swelling. 30C or 200C three to four times daily for 3 days.

Using Calendula tincture diluted in Spring water to cleanse the wounds twice a day, would also improve healing of the injuries. Add 1/2 tsp to 1 cup water for dilution.

Send more information for me to advise you correctly. And a new photo without the bandage.

Respond
by: Gina

Hello,
To respond to the questions:

Was there a lot of bruising? Yes, but much better today.
Was there any neurologic damage? No
Were there major punctures? Punctures yes two but not major. The second vet stapled them closed and said not to remove bandages until I see her next on Friday.
How is the toy poodle behaving now? He is behaving normally
Is he cowering in fear due to post traumatic stress syndrome? No
Or is he acting more bright and alert, now that the traumatic incident is over? Both bright and alert since the first day.

Thanks for your feedback!

November 11, 2013

Hi Gina,
From your reply, it sounds like he is healing very well! I am not sure what more I could offer! If there is still pain, and bruising in spite of the anti-inflammatories, then perhaps a few doses of Arnica will set him straight.