Traveling Abroad Without All Dog Vaccinations

by Gina F.
(Guaynabo, Puerto Rico)

Titer results

Titer results

My father has a Service Dog which we do not vaccinate due to prior vaccinosis. We are gonna be traveling to the US Virgin islands and back to Puerto Rico in a couple of weeks and wonder if traveling with the titer test is enough, or do we need some kind of exception health certificate? If so, do you provide this?

I ask because their isn't a holistic vet here and all of them tell me to vaccinate him. What do you recommend I do? I have attached his titer test results.

Thanks, Gina

Comments for Traveling Abroad Without All Dog Vaccinations

My Online Vet Response for: Travelling Abroad Withour All Dog Vaccinations

Hi Gina,

Here is some information from the Virgin Islands Department of Agriculture,
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/downloads/vi.html

*** DOGS ***

All dogs upon entering the Virgin Islands, shall be accompanied by an official health certificate stating that the animal did not originate from an area quarantined for rabies. All dogs must have been vaccinated for rabies within 6 months prior to the date of shipment except those dogs less than 8 weeks old. The certificate of vaccination for rabies must be attached to the official health certificate.

There is some contact information for the US Virgin Islands on the website. I suggest you contact them to see if they will accept a Rabies antibody titer in place of having a Rabies vaccination.

The Rabies titer you had done, indicates that your Dad's dog has adequate antibody protection.

In order to obtain a health certificate, a veterinarian needs to do a physical exam, therefore, I would not be able to write a health certificate for you 'long distance'.

If the US Virgin Islands will accept a Rabies antibody titer, then your 'regular' veterinarian can examine your Dad's dog and write a health certificate for your trip. If they will NOT accept the titer, then perhaps your father would be able to travel without his dog rather than risk future health issues by giving him a Rabies vaccination.

- Dog Vaccination Schedule
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Vaccinations Section