Tick Infestation in Home and on Dogs

by Arifa
(New Mexico)

jasper (female) left, wally (male) right

I have a bad tick infestation in my home and on my two dogs (German shepherd and Belgian malinois). For awhile I was just picking the ticks off the dogs but now they're all over my home, walking around and climbing the walls and I can't keep up with it.

I am loathe to use poisons in my home or on my dogs, but this problem may be bigger than the neem oil treatment can provide (although I haven't tried it yet so I really don't know). Plus, I have to treat not only my dogs and their bedding but the whole house now, so may need different types of products. I also may need an on-going regimen so that the ticks don't keep cycling back.

I don't live in an area particularly prone to ticks (mountainous area of northern New Mexico), but when I travel I leave my dogs with a friend who lives in a lower elevation along a river, and that's where my dogs picked up the ticks. She also has been experiencing a tick infestation and she is dealing with it using conventional chemical treatment. I would be very happy if I could solve the problem and avoid using these poisons.

Thank you very much,
Arifa

Comments for Tick Infestation in Home and on Dogs

My Online Vet Response for: Tick Infestation in Home and on Dogs

Hi Arifa,
For your horrible tick infestation, I believe that this product may help. You can use it both in the environment, and ON the dogs too! The topical product is called Evolv, made from Cedar oil, and the environmental one is Wondercide, same company, and same ingredients!

Certainly the topical one for use on the dogs is important, to prevent re-infesting your home when the dogs go out to other locations.

***REPLY SUBMITTED BY ARIFA****

TITLE: Follow Up on Wondercide

Thank you very much for recommending this product line. I used their Evolv directly on my dogs, EcoTreat for laundering their bedding and for spraying outside on the porch, and BioDefense for inside infestation. I'm very pleased with the results.

The BioDefense killed the ticks on contact and got rid of eggs. After using this product the only ticks I found in my house were dead ones. Evolv dramatically decreased the ticks on the dogs, although in my German Shepherd's coat I did find some live ones who had gone deeply into her thick fur where I may not have worked the product in.

My Belgian Malinois' fur is not as thick, and I did not find live ticks on him after treatment. However, now after a week they again show signs of ticks which they are picking up from the environment, and bringing into the house as well.

So the battle isn't over yet, but I believe that if I stay on top of it with continual checking and treatment during tick season I won't get the bad infestation problem again.

Mostly I am very grateful that I did not have to use products that are toxic to the environment and to me and my animals. I love the cedar aroma in the house; not at all noxious. Basically, I found Wondercide products to be very effective, though on-going treatment is needed in this bad tick year. Highly recommended.

Arifa

***DR. TILLMAN'S RESPONSE****

Hi Arifa,

You are very welcome. I am glad you found the product useful and effective. In fact, your response would make a great testimonial for the company!

- Dealing with Dog Ticks Naturally
- Dog Tick Removal
- Dog Flea Medicine, Treatment & Prevention,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Fleas & Ticks Section