Third eyelid of dog's right eye is swollen

by Mark
(St. Louis, MO, USA)

My dog began developing an eye problem (third eyelid of dog's right eye is swollen) 2 days ago which we noticed after returning home from a short trip. She had her head out the window of my truck most of the way (our speed never exceeded 45 mph during the entire trip).

The eye does not seem to be bothering her much, however, my wife rubbed her eye slightly yesterday and our dog yelped. I don't know if something flew in her eye or the eye issue is a coincidence. The eye is open as normal.

She has always had very active tear ducts and has some staining as a result.

She is a 10 year old Blue Merle Australian Sheppard and was spayed at a young age. She is in very good health overall.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments for Third eyelid of dog's right eye is swollen

My Online Vet Response for Third eyelid of dog's right eye is swollen

Hi Mark,
From the photos you sent, it appears that her ENTIRE eye is swollen, not just the third eyelid. And it looks like it is probably very painful. I am not sure if it was an injury that occurred during the car ride, but she appears to have something seriously wrong, with inflammation involving her entire eye.

I would advise taking her to a veterinary ophthalmologist ASAP. In the meantime, the homeopathic remedy ACONITE (Aconitum napellus) would be very helpful, in 12c or 30c potency, given every hour for 3-4 doses. Other remedies, such as Arnica, Euphrasia, Hepar sulph, and Silicea, might also be useful, if there is no response to the Aconite.

Once a diagnosis is made, please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.