Thin pink area around dog's eye

by Christina
(Utah)

Our 6 mo old male Siberian husky has had a thin pink area around his eyes for a few months, the left one being the most significantly noticeable. The pink rim stayed about the same size for a few months, but last few weeks he has been loosing more hair around his eye and the bare pink skin area is becoming larger. We have not noticed any real discharge or any injury to the actual eye. We have not used anything in the eye.

We took him to a vet for vomiting and diarrhea about 6 weeks ago and the vet did not say anything about the eye. We were not too concerned with it since it had been staying the same size.

He is mainly an inside dog & is not around other animals that we know of. We have done some research on eye problems for dogs, & for huskys in particular, but have not been able to find anything about the skin surrounding the eye.

Thank you for any advice you can give us.

Comments for Thin pink area around dog's eye

My Online Vet Response for: Thin pink area around dog's eye

Hi Christina,
From the photo, and what you have described of your six month old Siberian Husky, I would be most concerned about a Zinc deficiency. Other possible problems would be from ringworm (caused by a fungus) and dog mange (caused by Demodex mites).

These last two conditions are diagnosed with skin scraping (for mites) and a fungus culture (for ringworm).

For now, I would work on correcting the diet. DO NOT FEED all DRY DOG FOOD. Add in some raw meat and check out the choices on our 10 Best Dog Food Options page.

Also, supplement his diet with both OrthoMolecular Specialties, Mega C Powder and Missing Link Canine Formula
(both contain Zinc).

If he is to be neutered, I would advise that you DELAY the surgery until he is healthy. And I would not be surprised to learn that this condition started after he received his vaccinations. Disease conditions triggered by vaccinations is called 'Vaccinosis'.

If he is not improving (or getting worse) in 3-6 weeks with the new diet and supplements, seek the help of a holistic veterinarian. A holistic veterinarian can help with vaccinosis, and also test for ringworm or mange.

Appreciate your analysis
by: Christina

I will discuss this with the family tonight and make some changes as well as keep a "close eye" on him. Thank you so very much for taking a look at this and for giving your reccomendation.

the maines

um may'be he has the maines around that area but it can go from his eye to his whole body cause that's what happened to my dog or may'be fleas and ticks can be eating around that area ask the vet about this

"may'be he has the maines around that area but it can go from his eye to his whole body cause that's what happened to my dog"

I think you are trying to say, the "Mange". Sorry to hear that your dog had mange. And I did post that in my answer to Christina's original question.

You also mentioned fleas or ticks being a possibility. Fleas will rarely be found on the head or face of a dog. They are more commonly found over the hindquarters and tail. And usually a dog will be very itchy and do a LOT of scratching. Christina's dog is NOT scratching.

Ticks remain attached, and are large enough to be visible, so they can be removed.

Thank you for your comments. You also wrote, "ask the vet about this". I AM a veterinarian.

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us
by clicking the like button at the top of the left
margin
. Thank you!

What is happening to my dog??? NEW
by: Teresa Barron

My dog has that too I'm trying to figure out what it happening to him...... Can some one please tell me what to do

What is happening to my dog?? NEW
by: Teresa

My is having that too im really worried ......could some one please tell me what to do

My Online Vet Response for: Thin Pink area around dog's eye NEW

July 18, 2014

Hi Teresa,

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).
Please click here to sign up and submit your question and photos . I'll then get back to you right away at the bottom of your newly created web page.