Swollen Red Around Dog Eye

by Laura H
(Missouri)

I have 2 girls...bichon/poodle mixes, they are 2.5 yrs old. One of them, Dallas, woke up yesterday morning with his horrible redness around her eye. Other than the obvious irritating feeling she is acting completely normal....she just tries to bury her face in a blanket and puts her paws over her eyes.

I looked online right away and found some info, so I've been using cotton balls and saline to wipe her eyes a few times a day. I've also been adding Omega, Vitamin C, alfalfa and Shaklee's Nutriferon to her food.

I will tell you the history about her diet but since yesterday she is ONLY eating Primal raw freeze dried food. I did give her a benadryl to help her relax....and I have antibiotics from her last vet visit a couple months ago and I gave her one yesterday and one this morning. This morning, it doesn't look any worse, but it doesn't look better either. She slept perfect last night.

Okay so a little history...we got the girls when they were 10 weeks old, and they had been on Primal food exclusively. No table scraps other than some raw carrots here and here. I was adamant that their diet stay very clean! Then last November we had a job loss and had to restructure our budget, so we've been staying with my mom, and changed them to the NOW brand of food she was feeding her dog.

I also never gave them tap water(my mom does), use all non-toxic cleaning and personal care products(my mom has irritating fragrances everywhere) so my home was really "clean"! Now, they've been in a completely different atmosphere, including a different climate because we moved from New Mexico to Missouri. For the 2 years before we came here, I never had one issues with either dog. Both very healthy.

They have tons of energy, very playful. A month after we got here, Dallas developed a cough that my mom said sounded like kennel cough. I was out of town...she took her to the vet and of course put her on antibitiocs and hydrocodone? I had no control over this since I was gone...but apparently her cough was gone in 2 days and my mom stopped the meds. Had it been me, I would have tried some natural methods first.

Then my other dog developed this sore on her back that turned into this big scab (she was scratching it). Eventually it healed but again, just letting you know I've had no issues until all these changes. As far as the food they were eating, I didn't any allergic reactions or anything.....but something is obviously not right with them. We are moving in a week to our own place so they will be back in a clean environment soon. I'm also considering changing to home made food since the Primal will be too expensive for me to continue full time.

As far as her eye, I don't mind taking her into the vet...but from everything I've read I feel like they are just going to say keep doing the saline and continue the antibiotics. I'd like to avoid paying for that if possible! I'm attaching photos, I couldn't get a good one of the other eye that isn't as bad....so this one you're looking at is the bad one and the other one looks the same just not as severe. Thank you for your help!

(also, I am very open to nutritional suggestions...I have a large selection of supplements I can give her along with herbs!)

Comments for Swollen Red Around Dog Eye

My Online Vet Response for: Swollen Red Around Dog Eye

March 6, 2015

Hi Laura,
It might be a good idea to take Dallas to a veterinarian to stain her cornea to make sure she has not scratched it. (either one or BOTH eyes may have a small scratch). Might have been if she was scratching or itching herself, or your other dog did it when they were playing.

In the meantime, put an E-collar around her neck to prevent any more self-trauma. And do the saline drops to keep the mucous from building up in her eye. (try the 'soft' E collars available online, by Trimline)

You can put 2-3 drops of Sweet Almond Oil into each eye to help 'lubricate' the cornea. If she only has a small or superficial scratch, then the above treatments should heal them.

Once you are in your own home, with a home cooked meal for both of them, they should return back to normal!

update
by: Laura H

Thank you Dr. Gillman. Her eye seems to be a little better, and she only wants to rub it right after I do the saline rinse. Again she slept all night without moving (she sleeps right next to me so I can tell :) What sort of treatment would they do if it is a scratch? She is opening her eyes just as big as normal, light doesn't seem to bother her. I've added vitamin E to her regimen as well. I'd like to give it until Monday, the vet I would take her too is not holistic AT ALL!

March 6, 2015

Hi Laura,
If Dallas has a scratch on her cornea, a conventional veterinarian would prescribe an antibiotic ointment or drops with atropine ointment for pain. And the E-Collar. If no scratch is found, the the prescription would most likely be an ointment with an antibiotic with cortisone.

A holistic veterinarian would prescribe a homeopathic remedy based on her symptoms, depending on whether or not a scratch is found, or if a scratch is not found. Plus the Sweet Almond oil, and the E-collar. Also, either veterinarian would do an exam to check if her pupils are the same size, if one is more dilated than the other, or if she has uveitis, (inflammation of the iris). Which would require a completely different remedy (from the holistic vet) and different ointments from the conventional vet.

At this time, since she is actually a bit improved, I think she would be fine to wait until Monday. At that time, if she is NOT better, or worse, then she should be seen by a veterinarian, holistic or conventional!