Swollen dog eyes with red, bulging membranes accompanied by a new limp and warts

by Paul Shindelus
(Las Vegas, Nevada)

left eye

left eye

For the past several weeks our 5.5 year-old female Goldendoodle has been experiencing problems with her eyes. The lower membrane seems to come up too far, is red in color, and there is bulging on the side of the eye (almost like a liquid-filled sack).

It's happening in both eyes, but the left is worse than the right. Our vet was unable to determine the exact problem but prescribed dexamycin opthalmic solution, which we drop in her eyes three times a day, although it does not appear to help in the 1.5 weeks we've been giving it to her.

We don't know if its related, but I should mention that around the same time she broke out into warts on her face and ears. She has developed nine separate large warts which often split open and bleed (whether because she's scratching them or they simply burst is not certain). Our vet says it's a condition he often sees in puppies more-so than dogs her age, but he was not concerned and believes they are a "nuisance" that don't threaten her health.

The timing of her eye condition also roughly coincides with the development of a sudden limp in her right hind leg. Vet suspected an ACL tear but x-rays could not confirm such, he gave us some pain killers and told us to rest her for a while and bring her back for re-examination when the medications ran out.

In short, 2 months ago we had a healthy, happy, energetic dog that developed an unexplained limp, followed shortly thereafter by warts and an eye condition. But specifically, it is the eye condition we are most worried about... we mention the other ailments only in case they may be related and could help give you a clue as to what's wrong with eyes. We desperately want to help resolve her condition.

Comments for Swollen dog eyes with red, bulging membranes accompanied by a new limp and warts

My Online Vet Response for Swollen Dog eyes with red, bulging membranes accompanied by a new limp and warts

Hi Paul,
From the photo you submitted of Ellie's left eye, with the raised third eyelid and chemosis of the sclera (and mentioning that it is occurring in BOTH eyes), I would be very suspicious of an allergic reaction.

With the additional comments about warts and then a problem with her joints (a limp in her hind leg), I am more convinced that her problems are all related to an allergic reaction, probably related to a vaccination. You did not mention her vaccine history, or if she has even had any vaccination in the past year. But looking at it from a holistic standpoint, I would use homeopathic remedies to treat her, specifically remedies related to vaccinosis. See our page regarding Alternative medicine for dogs, specifically relating to Homeopathy.

Of course, making sure she is eating a healthy, wholesome diet, ideally a raw diet would be best. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options.

As you are in the Las Vegas area, I can give you a list of holistic veterinarians, including myself, that you can contact.

My website is

Dr. JoAnne Stefanatos, Animal Kingdom Veterinary Hospital, (702) 735-7184.
Dr. Nancy Brandt, Natural Care Institute, (702) 617-3285

Also, you can click here to find a local holistic veterinarian

Swollen eye, rising 3rd eyelid
by: James

My 11 yr old Husky seems to be having the same issue. No warts or limp though. Her vet. seems to think that it's an allergic reaction, and has prescribed her Neo-poly Dex os, 1 drop 3x a day. Today he spoke of a condition where the 3rd lid rolls over on its self, and recommended a specialist. I'm really not in a position for a costly medical procedure, and am curious if this is something I can treat.

My Online Vet Response for Swollen dog eyes with red, bulging membranes accompanied by a new limp and warts

Hi James,
Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

Thank you, turned out to be a symptom of lymphoma

Hi Dr. Tillman (and all):

Sadly, the issue ended up being something completely unexpected. Turns out she had lymphoma and the condition in the picture was caused by swelling behind her eyes that was literally pushing her eyes out of their sockets. She deteriorated quickly and about 3 weeks after taking this picture we had to put her down. We miss her but we appreciate your assistance.

My Online Vet Response for: Swollen dog eyes with red, bulging membranes accompanied by a new limp and warts

Hi Paul,
That is very sad news. I am so sorry to hear that you lost Ellie to Lymphoma. From your post I could tell that you loved her a great deal. I know that you will mess her very much.

Sending you my deepest sympathy at this time.