Swelling on cat's lower lip

by Shoshana and Lynn
(Hollywood FL)

I am wondering about this swelling on the lower lip of my 10 yr old female cat. Can you tell what it is and what holistically I can do about it? Thank you, Cat Mommy

Comments for Swelling on cat's lower lip

My Online Vet Response for: Swelling on cat's lower lip

Hi Shoshanna,
From the photo, it looks like your kitty, Lynn, has lip edema which is associated with feline acne. In some cases the entire lip AND chin are very swollen, in other cases there may be some pimples with the swelling on the chin area.

Without knowing any history: How long has it been that way? What is she eating? How often does she get vaccinated? Does she have swollen lymph nodes? Does she have any bad teeth, especially the lower canines? I am unable to give you a good treatment plan.

I would advise that you eliminate any DRY CAT FOOD in her diet, since that is NOT healthy for her. Keep her on canned, or even better, a RAW cat food diet, such as RAD CAT.

Feline acne seems to arise in cats that have a history of a weakened immune system. Therefore, NO more vaccinations, feed her a healthy diet, avoid toxins from flea and tick preventives, and possibly give some immune supplements if the diet does not help clear it up in 2-3 weeks.

A holistic veterinarian that can see her 'in person' would be even better! Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area. Another resource for vets knowledgeable in homeopathy is AVH.org.