Summer dog skin rash and severe itching

by Rob
(Canton, GA)

About 3 years ago, my dog got a rash as the weather began to increase into the 90's, and the itching persisted for the entire summer. Last year was not as bad, but still noticeable, and this year is as bad as the first if not worse.

She is a mixed breed dog that weighs about 78 pounds, and she's about 6 years old. Her diet consists of Pedigree adult complete nutrition dry dog food.

She does not take any regular medication and is not on any flea treatments. However, we have experimented with the itchy skin sprays from Pet Smart including a hydro cortisone spray that seems to have no effect. The hydro cortisone shampoo does seem to ease the itching slightly for a couple of days.

We also gave her a Benedryl the last two nights and that seems to help a little for a couple of hours, but I am hesitant to give this to her.

As you can see in the pics, her tail has some puss on it where she has been scratching, so I am not sure if that is part of the problem or a result of her scratching. I have not seen puss before.

The rash and all itching seems to be contained to her hind area, including the inside of her legs, her tail, and her back legs inside and out. She has lost a little fur on her tail and sides from scratching and gnawing at the sites.

Comments for Summer dog skin rash and severe itching

My Online Vet Response for Summer Dog Skin Rash and severe itching

Hi Rob,
From the photos, and noticing that you live in Georgia, I am 99% positive that your dog is suffering from Flea Allergy Dermatitis (click link for more info).

Also, please note the comments on NOT feeding a DRY DOG food. While Pedigree dog food is a well balanced diet, I do not recommend it for dogs suffering from skin problems. She needs to have adequate moisture in her diet to help her skin maintain a healthy hair coat. She would really benefit from a raw diet. Check our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options to give you some ideas.

I would also be cautious about any vaccinations, since these will affect her immune system, and with an allergic skin condition, she needs to improve her immunity, NOT weaken it with vaccination boosters. A holistic veterinarian can write an exemption form to 'exempt' her from a Rabies vaccine, if she is due this year.

Also, follow the suggestions found on our page for Natural Flea treatment.

It appears that her tail area may also have some secondary bacterial infection. For adequate cleansing, you will need to shave that portion of her tail, and use some baby shampoo to clean her tail daily for 4-5 days.

You may also need to give her some immune supplements, such as OrthoMolecular Specialties, Mega C Powder (1/4 tsp in food two times daily) and Immuplex from Standard Process (one capsule opened and sprinkled in food two times daily).

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:
find a holistic vet in your area