Sudden wart or growth on dog's head

by David
(West Hartford, CT)

This growth appeared on our dog's head as a tiny little skin tag or scab a few weeks ago and
developed into a pea-sized wart-like skin-colored growth with some brown mole-like skin on top very quickly (within about 2 weeks). It doesn't seem to be getting any bigger.

Roxy is part pug and something else. She's a rescue, about 4 years old and was used for breeding. She has a strict healthy diet of IAMS kibble.

We would like to know if this growth appears harmful (cancerous) to you and if you know what it is? Also, what is the typical treatment and cost for something like this?

Thank you for your help. I hope that's enough info. We've ruled out ticks.

Comments for Sudden wart or growth on dog's head

My Online Vet Response for Sudden wart or growth on dog's head

Hi David,
From the photo you sent of Roxy, I cannot tell where this growth or wart is actually located on her head/face. And from the photo, it actually looks more like a scab than a wart or growth.

If it did start as a small wound/scab, and is still present two weeks later, meaning that it is not healing, it would be best to take her in for an exam. Even better, an exam with a holistic veterinarian.

The Iams DRY DOG food, is not really a very healthy diet. Canned or raw diets are much healthier. Especially if Roxy is not able to heal superficial skin problems. She would do better with a dog food diet that contains more moisture.

As I am still doubtful as to whether this is a scab or a wart or growth, I will not be able to advise on any treatment or prices. Although, from the photo, I do not believe that it is anything malignant.