Stye-like Growth on Dog's Lower Eyelid

by Steven Lentini
(Phoenix, Arizona, USA)

My 9 year old male pug has what appears to be a stye-like growth on his lower eyelid. There is no redness or discharge, however it appears to bother him a great deal.

He squints his eye, rubs it on object (like sheets, clothes, etc) and tries to scratch it. Also, he has a decreased appetite and is less active than normal.

I have been cleaning the eye out with water, apply warm compresses and a tiny amount of antibiotic ointment to the eyelid at least 2 to 3 times daily. I noticed this about a week ago, at first it seemed to go down a little with the warm compresses but now it is not getting any smaller. It is also not getting any larger but it is bothering him more.

He has not had any health problems before.

Comments for Stye-like Growth on Dog's Lower Eyelid

My Online Vet Response for Stye-like Growth on dog's lower Eyelid

Hi Steven,
From the photo you submitted, it appears to be a chalazion (a 'clogged' oil gland) or perhaps a Meibomian cyst located a the base of the eyelashes that has become infected. It would be best to see a veterinarian, or even a holistic veterinarian for an accurate diagnosis and treatment. A holistic veterinarian might offer some alternatives to antibiotics.

And it looks like he also needs to have his nails trimmed!

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

Stye-like Growth

Terramycin is a good way to keep these under control and sometimes "cure" them. You have to get it on line now instead of pet stores since those wonderful caring vets took it of the market...BANDITOS!

My Online Vet Response for: Stye-like Growth on Dog's Lower Eyelid

In the previous posting, Steven, the owner, was already using an antibiotic ointment and it was not helping. Terramyin IS an antibiotic and would not be a holistic approach to solving this problem.

A holistic approach takes into account the WHOLE patient, diet, genetics, vaccination history, likes and dislikes, etc, NOT just one small lesion. See our page on Alternative Medicine for dogs.

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us
by clicking the like button at the top of the left
margin
. Thank you!