Stray dog has red eye that appears cloudy

I just found a dog and am unable to get it to the vet because of my work schedule. The white area of the eye is all red on both sides. The coloured area appears kinda cloudy like. Just wondering what is wrong and if there is any treatment I can give the dog.

He appears to be fully grown. He has a chipped front tooth and tartar so I believe he is older. Seems to have a limp or something wrong with his leg leg or hip.

Otherwise, he plays well with my dog.

He has been panting nonstop since I found him four hours ago.

He has drank and eaten.

Comments for Stray dog has red eye that appears cloudy

My Online Vet Response for: Stray dog has red eye that appears cloudy

Hello,
That was very good of you to rescue a stray dog! I hope this one does not have anything contagious that might spread to your own dog. It may be best to keep them apart for a few days until it can be determined what is wrong with the stray.

From your description of the eye, and without a photo, I can only guess that it may be caused by some trauma. Although, glaucoma, uveitis, foreign body, or other corneal disease might cause it to look this way. You mentioned that he has been panting non-stop since you found him. And that he is also limping. This might indicate that he is in pain, or has a fever.

I would suggest that you offer him food and water, and when you are able to get off work, that you take him to a veterinarian for an exam.

A conventional veterinarian may be closer, but a holistic veterinarian may be able to give you some more advice. Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area. Another resource for vets knowledgeable in homeopathy is AVH.org.

question
by: valentina

I'd like to ask for a vet's opinion about what do you think are the positive things about stray dogs on the streets because there is a lot of people who want them to be euthanized, but there is also a big portion who prefer spay or neuter them to end up with overpopulation...
So what are the positive things about stray dogs or why shouldn't they be euthanized???

thank you very much!

My Online Vet Response for Chronic Dog Eye that appears cloudy

Hi Valentina,
First, I will start by letting you know that you have 'piggy backed' on to a paying client. And it is usually best for you to pay for your individual question.

We only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).
Please click here to sign up and submit your question and photos.

BUT, I will choose to answer your question at this time.

what do you think are the positive things about stray dogs on the streets because there is a lot of people who want them to be euthanized,

There ARE NO positive things about stray dogs on the street. Stool from stray dogs may contain round worms, hook worms, coccidia. Giradia, or whip worms. These parasites are contagious to humans (hook worms, roundworms and Giardia) and all of them are contagious to dogs.

Stray dogs may be dangerous. They may bite humans or bite or fight with the dog that the human is walking.

The lifespan of stray dogs on the street is MUCH shorter than a dog that belongs to a responsible human. And they go through pain from starvation, injury, cold or heat when they are stray.

"but there is also a big portion who prefer spay or neuter them to end up with overpopulation..."

I think your sentence is trying to say that a "big portion who prefer spay or neuter to END overpopulation".

I do not have a solution to the overpopulation of stray dogs. It will have to be done by education. To EDUCATE new pet owners to spay and neuter their dogs and STOP BREEDING. And for people to stop buying from pet shops, and to ADOPT, ADOPT ADOPT! And to realize that adoption means for the LIFE of that animal, not just for the convenience of when the person lives in a house with a yard and when they have to move into an apartment that release the dog into the street and abandon them. Or when they have kids and more attention is paid to the kids and not enough for the dog, and the dog is relinquished to the pound.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Stray dog has red eye that appears cloudy PART TWO

Hi Valentina,
Here is the continuation of my response.

There should be more NO Kill Animal shelters to take care of strays until they can be adopted out.

As I mentioned above, I do not have a solution to the overpopulation of stray dogs on the street. This is just my opinion. I think that it requires a huge shift in consciousness of the population, to be accomplished.

Related Pages to Original Question: