Strange dog skin problem

by Anna

Our dog's skin problem started 3 months ago... one on the side (close to the belly) and another one is on the nipple and is growing. Small "babies" appear around big ones very suddenly but grow slowly. The dog is a 2.5 years old alabai dog (female, never mated).

When you touch it, it is soft, feels like hollow inside. The dog at the beginning was not disturbed by it, but now she leaks it often (if to touch it, it doesn't seem to be painful for the dog).

The dog mostly eats dry food.

One vet took a piece of the problematic skin for a histologic analysis and said it was dermoid cyst or an adult teratoma and offered a surgical removal, but googling the words we found completely different pictures.

We would appreciate your opinion on what it is and how to get rid of it.

Thank you in advance.

Comments for Strange dog skin problem

My Online Vet Response for: Strange dog skin problem

Hi Anna,
Although I cannot argue with the Histopath report because it has identified what the exact tissue is made of, I can tell you that I have seen similar benign 'growths' in large breed dogs. These are always located in areas of pressure points such as the elbows, chest or hocks, especially dogs that are laying on a concrete (or other hard) surface.

Normally these areas will develop a callus, but if there is glandular tissue, especially if your dog is not spayed, it would cause irritation and tend to make the tissue develop this type of 'proliferation'.

If she is not spayed, then spaying her might help to decrease any hormonal stimulation to the breast tissue, and help to shrink it.

You wrote that she "now 'leaks' it often". I think you meant to write that she now LICKS it often. As there may be minor dryness, and cracking/irritation/bacteria in the tissue folds.

1. Provide her with a good padded surface to lay on at all times.

2. Keep this area clean, by washing with a mild Baby shampoo or oatmeal shampoo two times per week.

3. It might make her more comfortable to massage in coconut oil into the area to make the skin softer. Allow it to soak in for 3-4 hours, then wash off with Dawn dish soap (if it is still greasy) or oatmeal shampoo, if it is not greasy.

4. Make her wear a T-shirt to protect this area from constant irritation when she lays down and to prevent her from licking it too much.

She also needs MORE moisture in her diet. Since she is a giant breed dog, it may be expensive, but I suggest a RAW diet as the healthiest. At least consider more fresh meat, and vegetables/canned food, etc added to less dry food (such as the canned dog foods recommended here).

ALSO add Omega 3 fish oils to her diet, 1,000-2,000 mg one to two times daily.

NO more vaccinations. According to Dr. Pitcairn, in his book, " Natural Health for Dogs and Cats", giving a vaccine to a dog with cancer (or growths) is like throwing gasoline on a fire. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption for no more vaccinations for her.

My Online Vet Response for: Strange Dog skin Problem PART TWO

Hi Anna,
Here is the rest of my response.