Still exploring ways of switching my dogs to a complete vegetarian diet

by Jaimini Bharakhada
(England)

I've been looking into a veggie diet for my furbabies too & came across this site today. Thank you to everyone for sharing your stories & recipe ideas, too.

I have been a vegetarian myself for 26 years now, but I only recently started to become aware of the meat industry & the horrors associated with it (!) and I started thinking..... if it ain't good for humans - how can it be good for my furbabies!

Twenty-one years ago when I got my first furbaby he was stared on a vegetarian diet of home made food, consisting of a lot of Cassava for the first 6 months until the vet told me off & said I'd be doing him harm & that he needed to have meat in his diet!

Horrified, I immediately swapped him onto a meat diet! Now I wish I hadn't, but he lived up to the age of 16 years and the health problems he had were a little arthritis and a severe heart murmur towards the end.

I have 3 furbabies at the moment - my oldest is 17 years old and suffers severe arthritis in her front legs, and two little chihuahuas - one 3yrs old & the other 2yrs old - with a very sensitive tummy - for which she receives probiotics daily, both the little ones are very fussy eaters!

I am Indian-Asian, so I have a great variety of fab veg dishes to choose from and have noticed they do seem to like a lot of the mixed vegetable rice dishes I make. They also love the chappaties (LOL)! Mind you I don't think I've ever met a dog who doesn't like them!

They like shredded raw cabbage & carrots too. Oh, and I recently discovered they seem to like chickpeas as well!

I would like to swap them to a full vegetarian dog food diet, but I'm worried I won't be giving them all the protein, vitaminss & minerals they need daily - so any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Comments for Still exploring ways of switching my dogs to a complete vegetarian diet

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
Check out this page
by: Jeff

Hi Jaimini,

Take a look at this page: Vegan or Vegetarian Diet for Dogs? (on this website). It should give you some of the answers you're looking for.

Good luck!

Jeff

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Vegan or Vegetarian Diet for Dogs.