Squishy Swollen Spot on Dog's Ear Flap with Ear Drainage & Bumps/Scabs Behind Ear

by Cindy T.
(Louisiana)

Dog's ear at the vet after shaved and cleaned

About a week ago, our dog developed a swollen spot on the bottom of her ear flap. It was squishy (not hard) and she did have a little drainage coming out of that ear. She also had some bumps/scabs right behind the ear.

I started her on coconut oil orally and cleaned her ear out with a vinegar/warm water mixture. She started improving greatly.

Our first thought was that she had laid in a pile of ants or something and was having a reaction.

Around Saturday, the scabs and her fur connected to the scabs started falling off. Today the outside of the ear has open sores.

She is lab that is a year and half old. She has epilepsy and is currently taking phenobarbitol to control her seizures. We tried the natural way and changed her food which helped some but she still continued to have cluster seizures.

It is possible that she had a seizure outside while I was at work and it caused the abrasions but I am really at a loss. She had an issue earlier this summer with losing the fur in patches on her stomach and it had some pustules as well but the vet tested her for ringworm and decided it was allergies.

I am tired of the traditional medicine standpoint when it comes to this poor dog....

Comments for Squishy Swollen Spot on Dog's Ear Flap with Ear Drainage & Bumps/Scabs Behind Ear

My Online Vet Response for: Squishy Swollen Spot on Dog's Ear Flap with Ear Drainage & Bumps/Scabs Behind Ear

September 10, 2013

Hi Cindy,

Your young dog certainly has a lot of issues! Without a photo, I am just going by your description of the situation, it sounds like she has an ear infection, (that is creating the drainage from her ear), a hematoma in the ear flap (that is the swollen spot on the bottom of the ear flap that is 'squishy') due to broken capillaries inside the ear flap, and dermatitis behind her ear caused by her scratching her ear flap creating the scabs and sores.

Having a seizure would not cause an ear infection/hematoma etc.

And she is epileptic. At this time, I am not sure from your post, whether she is controlled on the Phenobarbitol or not.

But the first order of business is to treat the hematoma, then control the ear infection, and then treat her underlying chronic illness, the epilepsy.

Homeopathic remedies can be very useful for this problem, but she must also be on a good diet, preferably RAW. See our page on 10 Best Dog Good Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html.

No TOXIC flea or tick products should be used. See our page on Dog Flea Treatment, and check out www.wondercide.com for EVOLV made of cedar oil.

NO VACCINATIONS. A holistic veterinarian can write an exemption form. Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area. Another resource for vets knowledgeable in homeopathy is AVH.org.

HOMEOPATHIC REMEDY-
Phosphorous is the first remedy I would use at this time. Use Phosphorus 12C or 6C potency. Give her one pellet by mouth TWO times daily for the next 3 weeks. Or you can dissolve one pellet into a 2 oz glass dropper bottle filled with Spring Water, shake the bottle by hitting it against the palm of your hand 20 times, (this is called succussing the remedy) prior to each dose, and give her 1/2 dropperful by mouth two times daily for 3 weeks.

Ear Drainage-
Use green tea. Make it with 2 tea bags to one cup of water. Let cool to room temperature, and (taking her outside), pour in 1 TBSP into her ear. Let her shake it out, and just clean out the excess from the outside of her ear. Do this TWO times per week for the next 3 weeks.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Squishy Swollen Spot on Dog's Ear Flap with Ear Drainage & Bumps/Scabs Behind Ear PART TWO

September 10, 2013

Hi Cindy,
Here is the rest of my response.

Dermatitis/Scabs behind the ear-
Use Rescue Remedy diluted to spray on her skin behind her ear to help her decrease her itching. She may also need to wear a soft E-Collar around her neck for about 7-10 days to prevent her from causing more trauma.

To make up diluted Rescue Remedy, buy the Rescue Remedy for humans, (yes, this is the one in alcohol), and put 20 drops into a 2-3 oz pump spray bottle and fill with Spring Water. Then spray this along the back of her head/ear area. You may have to come up to her from behind with the bottle, so as not to startle her. Use this as often as needed every day.

Epilepsy-
Check her blood level of Phenobarb. Take her in just prior to her next dose to find out her lowest or 'trough' level. If this is TOO low, she may need to be increased. If this is TOO high, she may need to be decreased. Ideally, with a combination of homeopathic remedy, and decreasing dose of Phenobarb, you can maintain her on the lowest possible level and prevent the seizures.

A holistic veterinarian would be needed to guide you through this process.

Ear saga continued
by: Cindy Thompson

I did take her to the vet this evening.. She has a horrible ear infection as cellulitis on her pinna. I am trying to feel my way through this process I truly believe in holistic medicine I use it with my family but I also felt the need to have a quick intervention she had green pus coming from the pinna and her actual ear canal. I will try and attach a pic taken at the vet. I know vitamin C is great for her and her seizures are controlled on the pheno we are doing bloodwork next month. My real concern at this point is her being so young with so many issues the vet made it sound like if the seizures start increasing again, she had Four this past weekend over 3 days, that we will have to start adjusting meds again. This bothers me for her quality of life. I tried to find a holistic vet near me and was unable to. There used to be a wonderful one I used but she retired...

September 10,2013

Hi Cindy,

Try to incorporate some of the suggestions I gave you earlier. Considering the frequency of the seizures, it may be better if you use Belladonna first instead of Phosphorus. In 12C or 30C potency for both the ear and the seizures.

Keep us updated on what unfolds, and I will try to help.

belladonna question
by: Cindy Thompson

How often do I give her the belladonna? She had another seizure overnight and is it ok to still give her the phenobarbital with the belladonna??Thank you so much for all of your help!

September 11, 2013
Hi Cindy,
Thank you for the photo and update from your visit to the local veterinarian.

Cellulitis is not a hematoma, it is mostly edema or secondary swelling due to the inflammation from the ear infection.

But the Belladonna remedy will still be appropriate for the situation, with her red, inflamed, painful ear canal, ear flap and the ongoing seizures.

If you have the *Belladonna 12C*, you can give her one pellet by mouth every 2-3 hours.

If you have the *Belladonna 30C* you can give it 3 times per day.

Remedies are not supposed to be touched, so you need to place a pellet into the cap and then pull out her lip and put it into her mouth. A human would put it under the tongue to let it dissolve. An easier way is to dissolve one pellet in a glass eye dropper bottle with Spring Water. And give the dosage via liquid. This seems to be easier for dogs and cats.

It is best to give Phenobarb and Belladonna separated by a few hours. Even then, the Phenobarb will probably inactivate the Belladonna, but I would like to see if her Vital Force is more responsive to homeopathic remedies than to conventional drugs. And if she is responding, then hopefully, you will be able to decrease the Phenobarb. And then we would need to increase the potency of the Belladonna, to a 100C or a 200C.

If she must continue on the Phenobarb, it would be a good idea to support her liver. Phenobarb is metabolized by the liver, so give her Milk Thistle 8 mg per lb of body weight two times daily while she is on Phenobarb. (Milk thistle is an herb that repairs liver tissue.) You will need to camouflage it in food, since it does NOT taste good. If in capsule form, you may be able to open the capsule and sprinkle the herb into her food to hide it.