Squishy 1 Inch by 1 Inch Growth on Dog's Leg Is Getting Larger

by Molly

Photo of growth on dog's leg

Photo of growth on dog's leg

This squishy 1 inch by 1 inch growth on my dog's leg started out small (a few millimeters) a few years ago. Two different vets have looked at it. One vet took a sample maybe 8 months ago, but it came back inconclusive. It seems to have grown faster in the last few months. It doesn't appear to bother her as she never licks it or pays it any attention.

I also move it around and it is not attached to anything (nor does it bother her when I move it). I have squeezed it to see if causes her pain and nothing. No reaction.

I am wondering if it is a growth due to her age.

The color has not changed and it doesn't ooze or bleed.

It is squishy and not rock hard.

It is roughly one inch by one inch.

There are not any raised bumps within the growth.

She doesn't frequent dog parks and her interaction with other dogs is very limited.

Comments for Squishy 1 Inch by 1 Inch Growth on Dog's Leg Is Getting Larger

My Online Vet Response for: Squishy 1 Inch by 1 Inch Growth on Dog's Leg Is Getting Larger

Hi Molly,
From the photo, it appears to be a growth on the outside aspect of her hind leg, on her hock area. It looks like a benign wart.

I do not know your dog's age. But, in any age dog, these wart like growths arise from too many vaccinations. See this page on Dog Warts to learn more.

If she is under 10 years of age, I would suggest surgical removal. If this is growing faster, it would be best to have it removed now, as it will be more difficult to remove if it gets any larger.

Make sure you have a complete blood panel done prior to surgery. If she is OVER 10 years of age, I would start her on remedies useful for vaccinosis, and seek the help of a holistic veterinarian who can obtain more details.

Age of daisy
by: Molly

She turned 11 on Sept 15 of last year. Thank you.

Hi Molly,
If Daisy is 11 years old, it still looks like a benign wart. As I mentioned in my previous response above, these wart-like growths arise from too many vaccinations.

If you wish to have it removed surgically, then make sure you have a complete blood panel done prior to surgery. Although, at her age, surgery would be my LAST resort.

Instead, I suggest that she start on remedies useful for vaccinosis, and seek the help of a holistic veterinarian who can take her case, and treat accordingly.