Sores in Dog's Groin Area

1st Dog Sore

1st Dog Sore

1st Dog Sore
2nd Dog Sore

We noticed a sore area around our dog Murdoch's groin yesterday. Initially we thought it was probably from just playing. Then we discovered a second spot right on the other side of his penis.

My mom had mentioned ringworm although he takes Trifexis every month and has never missed and is current on everything else.

Murdoch is a 42 lb boxer mix who is always hungry and eats fast. He is also very outgoing and energetic and playful.

Lately he has been slow about eating including not eating at all a few times. He has just seemed not right - just a little lethargic and such.

Comments for Sores in Dog's Groin Area

My Online Vet Response for: Sores in Dog' Groin Area

Hello,
Regarding Murdoch, a 42 Lb Boxer male: the sores you photographed in his groin area appear to be superficial pyoderma, caused by bacteria, not ringworm.

Trifexis, as described on their website, says, "Trifexis is a once-monthly tablet that kills fleas, prevents heartworm disease and treats and controls adult hookworm, roundworm and whipworm infections. And since it's beef-flavored, you can offer it as a treat."

It will not work on ringworm which is a *fungus*, not a *worm*.

What happens is this: There are bacteria normally found in the skin. If the immune system is depressed or overwhelmed, from:

1. Diet-- not meeting all the nutritional needs of the individual,
2. Over-vaccination,
3. Exposure to toxins,
4. Emotional distress,
5. Any number of other causes that affect the immune system, then the bacteria on the skin will multiply and cause these sores.

Bathe the area with a baby shampoo, rinse well, and dry, ONE time daily for the next 5-7 days, should help heal the sores, temporarily. Although, you may need to support the immune system, or improve the diet.

See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, and consider a RAW diet for Murdoch.

Some immune supplements to consider are these:

With only the information you submitted, I am unable to explain or make a diagnosis for why Murdoch is lethargic and eating slower. I suggest you seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for a blood panel and physical exam. And also to consider an exemption from too many vaccinations.