Sore on Dog's Leg

hind leg

hind leg

hind leg
back

Our 12 year old yellow lab has developed a very bad looking sore. It started with a smaller sore and with all the licking it seems to have gotten much worse.

Also, she has a spot on her back that looks dry and not so raw. Could you please look at the photos and let me know what I will need to do?

Thank you

Comments for Sore on Dog's Leg

My Online Vet Response for Sore on Dog's Leg

Hi,
From the photos you sent, it is difficult to see where the sore is located on the leg and on the back. Therefore it makes it more difficult to make a diagnosis.

Not knowing WHAT the sore is, makes it impossible to tell you what to do.

I can list a number of possible conditions:
On the leg, it may be a deep pyoderma (meaning caused by bacteria or fungal), irritated callus (meaning it is caused from trauma or pressure), or cutaneous mast cell tumor (a type of dog cancer).

The lesion on the back, may be secondary to an abrasion or from ringworm.

Make an appointment with a veterinarian (conventional or holistic) in order to find the diagnosis. Then you can make a decision on how you would like to treat the problem, via conventional means or holistic.

In the meantime, providing your dog with a healthy and wholesome diet, (see our page on 10 Best Dog Food options, some immune dog dietary supplements, and no more dog vaccinations would be helpful. Also, make sure the lesions are cleaned regularly with a mild shampoo (baby shampoo would be ok), one to two times per week.

Click here find holistic veterinarians in your area

Sore has Bump to it
by: Lorrissa Lingen

my dog has sore similar to this but it is always a bump! the sore is all bumped off her leg. What could that possibly mean?

My Online Vet Response for: Sore on Dog's Leg

Hi Lorrissa,
Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).
Please click here to sign up and submit your question and photos.

I'll then get back to you right away at the bottom of your newly created web page.

(If you are able to take a picture, photos are really nice to help diagnose a problem.)

Have you ever figured this out? NEW
by: Linda

My yellow lab has the exact same thing on his leg. The vet wasn't sure what it was and put him on antibiotics. It got a little better but never did go away completely. Now it seems to be getting worse. No one can seem to tell me what it is. If you have discovered what is causing this since your last post please let me know.

My Online Vet Response for: Sore on Dog's Leg NEW

Hi Linda,
I have not heard back from the original posting, so I cannot comment on the cause. If you have more specific questions regarding your Yellow Lab, with pictures I would be happy to help.

If you do wish to submit a question, we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).