Sore / Growth on Dog's Nose Near Rattlesnake Bite

by Heather
(Utah)

growth on nose near snake bite - photo #1

growth on nose near snake bite - photo #2
growth on nose near snake bite - photo #3

Our eight year old female German short hair/Lab mix dog was bitten by a baby rattlesnake this past June. After a long difficult recovery she seems to be back to her sweet, happy, active self.

Recently (maybe a month or two ago) she developed a spot on her nose the size of a dull pencil lead we believe near the most prominent fang bite. It doesn't seem to bother her and her demeanor hasn't changed, but after about a month the sore didn't seem to worsen or improve so I started putting neosporine on it for about a week with no improvement.

I then put a mixture of distilled water and grapefruit seed extract on it for a few days which seemed to dry it out but make it larger. I then dabbed tea tree oil (which I have since researched is toxic to dogs so not using it again)on it only a few times one day which turned it black so I took her to the vet the following day.

He glanced at the black spot, told me he didn't think it was related to the snake bite and told me he would charge me $200 more dollars to check for cancer. He didn't think it was anything to worry about because cancer wouldn't have reacted as it did to my treatments. He told me to just to keep neosporine on it and it should go away.

This was about three weeks ago. I have not used neosporine and only been treating it with the grapefruit seed extract a few times a day. Unfortunately, it is now the size of an eraser (which is worrying me) so I'm going to stop that treatment and wondering if castor oil, vitamin E and Vitamin C would help if it is a mole.

It is a pale pink color, round, and cauliflower looking.

Do you think from my description and pictures it is nothing to worry about as the vet dismissed or should I be more concerned it could be a mast cell or something that is more serious?

I have already looked into homeopathic vets and only found one in our state 1 1/2 hours away so that may not be an option. Thank you for your opinion on what the growth could be.

Comments for Sore / Growth on Dog's Nose Near Rattlesnake Bite

My Online Vet Response for: Sore/Growth on dog's Nose Near Rattlesnake bite

February 5, 2014

Hi Heather,

This looks like a benign wart. It is hard to say why it has appeared at the site of the rattlesnake bit from last summer, but I am suspicious that if you vaccinated her between last June and now, that the vaccine triggered the growth to appear.

ANY vaccine can cause the appearance of warts, growths, cancer, skin tags, etc. This is a condition that holistic veterinarians call 'vaccinosis'.

Use topical THUYA ointment, (available on line), http://store.theherbalhealthstore.com/bm0074.html

Apply one time daily for the next three weeks. If there is minimal change, this may mean she will need a higher potency in an oral form.

In the meantime, no more vaccinations, and make sure you are feeding a good diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html, and consider a RAW diet for her.

Sage's wart (?) is still increasing in size
by: heather

I appreciate your comments regarding the information and photos I submitted for Sage. I have been applying vitamin e and castor oil in addition to having her take a liquid B supplement, vitamin C and Thuja internally as you suggested but unfortunately the growth/wart continues to grow in size. It will also occasionally turn black in spots and crust over only to reveal a little larger, weird shaped growth. Is this normal for a wart as you suggested it is? Plus, it has been growing over 4 months now and is that normal for a wart. Thank you for any updated help.

by: heather

I appreciate your comments regarding the information and photos I submitted for Sage. I have been applying vitamin e and castor oil in addition to having her take a liquid B supplement, vitamin C and Thuja internally as you suggested but unfortunately the growth/wart continues to grow in size. It will also occasionally turn black in spots and crust over only to reveal a little larger, weird shaped growth. Is this normal for a wart as you suggested it is? Plus, it has been growing over 4 months now and is that normal for a wart? Thank you for any updated help.

by: heather

My Online Vet Response for: Sore/Growth on Dog's Nose near Rattlesnake Bite

March 5, 2014

Hi Heather,
February 5, one month ago, I wrote,
"Use topical THUYA ointment, (available on line), http://store.theherbalhealthstore.com/bm0074.html

Apply one time daily for the next three weeks. If there is minimal change, this may mean she will need a higher potency in an oral form."

You responded:
"I have been applying vitamin e and castor oil in addition to having her take a liquid B supplement, vitamin C and Thuja internally as you suggested"

It sounds like you have been using ORAL Thuya for the past month. What potency have you been giving her internally? If only 'X' or 6C or 12C those are too low.

I would suggest a dose of 30C or 200C would be good. Give her ONE dose one time daily for 3 days then STOP.

Report back in 3 weeks, coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

wart continues to grow
by: heather

Thank you, again, for assisting me with the concerns regarding the wart?? on Sage's nose. Yes, I did order Thuja from the sight you suggested and still have not received it! In the meantime, I did purchase oral (200ck each pellet) and was giving her 5 pellets a day and additionally crushing one pellet and placing on her nose with the castor oil for over a week until your response told me to give less amount only over 3 days so I have not given her the Thuja since. I am still applying ointments externally and trying to boost her immune system with vitamin c, e, and just started her on fish oil. Is there more I should be doing? Throughout, the wart has continued to grow larger and is no longer round shaped. It is mis-shaped and flops over the initial stock/base. It is still rough looking but the center seems to indent slightly. It will appear black one day then a few days later be bright red again and slightly larger. Is this normal? Should I submit an updated photo so you could get a more accurate assessment of her wart/growth? Thanks again, Heather

My Online Vet Response for: Sore/Growth on Dog's Nose Near Rattlesnake Bite

March 21, 2014

Hi Heather,
Actually, although it may look alarming, having so much change occur so rapidly in this 'wart/growth', indicates that Sage is responding to treatment.

An updated photo would be great to give me a better idea of what is really going on.

There is no need for you to continue to apply anything topical to this wart/growth.

And do not repeat the Thuya, she has had plenty, so far.

Continue with supplements to improve her immune system. A good one is Canine Whole Body support by Standard Process available on amazon.com. Another is Immuplex by Standard Process also available on amazon.com.

And incorporate raw meat into her diet.