Sore Between Dog's Nose & Upper Lip

by Dan Knapik
(Chicago, IL)

Mouth Sore

Mouth Sore

Our dog has had a sore on between its nose and upper lip for about 6 months. It started small and has slowly increased in size over time.

I have attached a fairly recent picture of it. The sore doesn't seem to bother the dog very much. However, she does lick her paws and mouth frequently. We're not sure if that is preventing the sore from healing.

We have a vet appt set up but we'd like another opinion in the meantime. She has been on antibiotics for it a few months ago but if it helped it was only temporary. Another vet didn't seem alarmed by it and considered removing it but stated that it was so close to her mouth.

Would like to know what you think it might be and how serious it may be. Our dog is a 9 1/2 year old Chihuahua Dachshund.

Comments for Sore Between Dog's Nose & Upper Lip

My Online Vet Response for: Sore Between Dog's Nose & Upper Lip

Hi Dan,
From your photo of the mass and history that she is a 9 1/2 year old Chihuahua/Dachsund mix, and this growth on her upper lip is steadily growing over the past 6 months, it would appear to be a mast cell or other malignant tumor. Conventional veterinarians would advise having it surgically removed. Considering the size at present, I am inclined to agree.

It would have been better to have started treating it homeopathically 6 months ago when it first appeared. Using homeopathic remedies, immune support, avoiding vaccinations, and improving her diet, it may have disappeared by now.

You could certainly try the holistic approach before surgery. But if there is NO change in 3-4 weeks, then I would advise surgical removal.

In the meantime, it would be best to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian.

For her diet, see our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, be sure to ELIMINATE DRY DOG FOOD, and especially consider a RAW diet for her.

Also start her on the following supplements to help build her immune system:

For the Immuplex, open and sprinkle one capsule into her food two times daily

Also, NO MORE VACCINATIONS.

According to Dr. Richard Pitcairn in his book, Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, "giving a vaccination to a dog with cancer, is like throwing gasoline on a fire."

A holistic veterinarian can help write an exemption form to exempt her from further vaccines.

Follow-up
by: D. Knapik

Patsy had surgery in mid-December 2013 to remove what turned out to be mast cell cancer by her mouth. We opted for surgery and the vet was able to remove the tumor but not able to remove a significant amount of the area around the tumor.

Cosmetically the vet did a great job. You can hardly tell there was such a large tumor there.

As far as radiation or chemo, we chose not to go that route. Instead, we switched her to a raw food diet after the incisions healed. We also began to give her turmeric powder, vitamins, fish oil, and a blend of herbs to assist her immune system. So far there has been no recurrence of the tumor.

Two different vets failed to recognize the severity of the sore. Fortunately we were not satisfied with their opinions and sought your help.

Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for the follow-up.

"switched her to a raw food diet after the incisions healed. We also began to give her turmeric powder, vitamins, fish oil, and a blend of herbs to assist her immune system. So far there has been no recurrence of the tumor."

That is great, and I am very glad that she is doing so well. The MAIN thing to remember is
**** NO MORE VACCINATIONS******. According to Dr. Richard Pitcairn author and veterinarian of 'Natural Health for Dogs and Cats' in his chapter on cancer, is that giving a vaccination to a dog that has had cancer, is like throwing gasoline on a fire!

Please continue to keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Canine Tumors/Dog Cancer Section