Something's Wrong with My Dog's Eyes - Emergency Situation

by Wendy
(Arizona, USA)

Something is really wrong with my dogs eyes. She won't open them at all, and when she did for a second they are really red and look like they have mucus or a coating of some sort over them. I wanted to upload a photo, but she wouldn't open her eyes long enough for me to take a picture.

My dog, who is a 4 year old female golden retriever, was acting fine a few minutes ago when I took her out to the bathroom. After I had to pull her leash to keep her away from someone walking by, a few minutes later I noticed she almost ran into the wall. Now she refuses to move.

I noticed she was having some issues a few days ago when she wouldn't eat her treats or anything else. She did not go to the bathroom (#2) all day and never touched anything I gave her to eat.

Her eyes were swollen and red, she had no appetite and she threw up 1 time (it was a weird bright yellowish-orange foamy vomit). I watched her and she was fine and back to normal within 24 hours.

I am really worried about her and would have already taken her to the vet, but I am going through a very difficult time right now and am staying in a hotel until I can find a place to live. Any money I have is needed to get a place to stay the night. I will take whats left to help her if I have to.

Please let me know what to do.

Thanks

Comments for Something's Wrong with My Dog's Eyes - Emergency Situation

Online Response Something's Wrong with my Dog's Eyes

Hi Wendy,
It is really difficult to prescribe without a photo, especially when it sounds like an emergency situation. I can only guess, but from the history you described I would suspect that your dog has had a severe allergic reaction to some substance or an acute viral or bacterial infection.

If you have a thermometer it would be nice to know if she has a fever. The normal temperature for a dog is 101-102 degrees Fahrenheit. That would tell us that she has an infection.

If her temperature is normal, then I suspect that she has had an allergic reaction. Give her the homeopathic remedy Calcarea Carbonica 6c or 12c. One pellet by mouth every hour for 3 hours. If she has not improved try either Apis mellifica 6c or 12c, or Pulsatilla 6c or 12c. Same dosage for either one.

In the meantime, whether she has a fever or an allergic reaction, it will make her more comfortable to use some warm water to clean her eyes, soaking a Kleenex in water and gently rubbing across her eyelids. You can drip some olive oil into her eyes to help lubricate them, which may relieve some of the pain. Health food stores will carry an eye rinse containing Euphrasia, which would be very good in this case to use to rinse her eyes, followed by the olive oil dripped into her eyes every 2-4 hours.

Keep the light very dim. Give her plenty of fluids, water, chicken broth, beef bouillon, or chicken or turkey baby food, if she is not vomiting.

She should be seen by a veterinarian if she has not improved in 24 hours-36 hours, or if she continues to vomit, or she continues to have a fever.

A holistic veterinarian would be more familiar with the homeopathic treatments I have suggested. Otherwise, just take her to a regular, conventional veterinarian. To find a holistic veterinarian go to Health/Wellness, and click on Alternative Care, then scroll down to find a vet in your area.