Small Wart or Growth on Puppy's Paw

by Chris
(Naugatuck, CT)

Image of Rear Paw

Image of Rear Paw

My wife and I recently decided to get a dog which our 3 boys have been patiently waiting for one for several years. We purchased a Cocker Pei male puppy and he is about 3 months old.

Once we brought the dog home, we shortly discovered he had to be treated for Kennel Cough and an ear infection. These items appear to be addressed with the medications, but we also noticed a growth on the puppy’s paw which we are very concerned about and would like some advice about what it may be and recommended treatments. I’ve attached an image of the growth for additional detail.

Chris and a very concerned family about their new puppy

Comments for Small Wart or Growth on Puppy's Paw

My Online Vet Response for: Small Wart or Growth on Puppy's Paw

Hi Chris,
"We purchased a Cocker Pei male puppy and he is about 3 months old."

From your description I am assuming that he is part Cocker Spaniel and part Shar Pei. Shar Pei's are known for their excessive skin folds, but the photo shows a very swollen toe with redness at the base of the 'wart' or growth. I am not sure from the photo if there is an infection due to the wart or if it is due to irritation from the nail tip rubbing between the toes.

ALSO, for him to need treatment for an ear infection and kennel cough, and now this infected wart(?), and he is only 3 months old, indicates that he is NOT healthy. You did not mention if he had any vaccinations, since ALL of these conditions are commonly seen when a puppy has been vaccinated too young. I would advise NO MORE vaccinations, except maybe a booster at one year of age for Distemper / Parvo.

He should also be on a healthy diet. NO DRY DOG FOOD. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options and consider a RAW diet.

Lastly, find a holistic veterinarian to examine that foot. Your puppy should be treated with homeopathic remedies and immune supplements to improve his health.