Small Round Raised Area on Dog's Lower Hind Leg

by Tricia T.
(Spokane Valley, WA)

My dog has a small rounded raised thing on the back of her right lower leg. It is a little smaller than a pencil eraser.

It showed up a few weeks ago and I thought it might be a tick. Put petroleum jelly all over to try and get it to back out, but it wasn't a tick.

Today I noticed its a little bigger and has pink on it. It looks kind of like a human wart. There is no redness around it, her hair and leg are normal around it.

She isn't sick at all, eating normally. It causes her no pain even if you push on it. She does not lick it.

She is an eight year old spayed 1/2 Rhodesian Ridgeback 1/2 pit bull. She is fed grain free-Taste of the Wild kibble and Taste of the Wild wet food or Wellness Core grain free. She is normal weight for her age and lives a fairly sedentary life although she chases toys outside a couple times a day.

Comments for Small Round Raised Area on Dog's Lower Hind Leg

My Online Vet Response For: Small Round Raised Area on Dog's Lower Hind Leg

February 5, 2014

Hi Tricia,

From the photo you submitted this looks like a benign wart. You can use topical Thuya ointment to apply one time daily for three weeks to see if that will help it go away.
https://www.elixirs.com/products.cfm?productcode=D-107

http://www.1-800homeopathy.com/hylands-thuja-ointment-1-ounce.html

Vaccinations are the most likely cause of these growths, warts, skin tags. You might want to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form to avoid future vaccinations.