Small Red Marks on My Dog's Stomach and Groin

by Jenny
(USA)

Eddie's Stomach

Eddie's Stomach

I have a 10 year old Jack Russel Terrier. About 2 weeks ago I started seeing small red marks on is stomach and groin area. He's been licking at them as well. Now they seem to have scabs over them and they still annoy him. They are also on his legs.

Do you think it's a food allergy?

Recently I've let him lick some butter thinking it might help his coat.

Oh, and he has had some diarrhea. When I take him to the park, he poops one good poop, then the rest of the time he has diarrhea. What could be causing that?

Thanks very much,
Jenny

Comments for Small Red Marks on My Dog's Stomach and Groin

My Online Vet Response to small red marks on Dog's stomach and groin

Hi Jenny,
Eddie may have a dog food allergy. From the photo you sent it looks like he has hair loss, with some pimples and scabs on his abdomen, and food allergy will cause him to itch. Many proteins, including eggs and whey protein (in dairy products) can cause allergies. Look in the left column under Illness/Remedies and click on Skin Conditions, then scroll down to food allergies.

Dairy products, including butter, are not good for his skin. And dairy products will cause loose stool in dogs. Start with a stool sample to check him for parasites, then improve his diet,(see above), this will avoid allergies, diarrhea, and improve his health. I would also advise a total blood panel to check for underlying problems that may make his skin more susceptible to allergies, hair loss and scabs. Problems such as hypothyroidism, Cushing's Disease, and diabetes can be detected on a blood test.

I would advise finding a holistic veterinarian to guide you. Look under Health/Wellness and click on Alternative Care, then scroll down to find a holistic vet in your area.

DISCLAIMER: The above should never replace the advice of your local veterinarian, as they have the ability to evaluate your dog in person

Small marks on dogs stomach
by: Jenny

Hi Doctor,

I agree with you on everything except the hair loss. He has always had very thin hair on his underside, and I haven't noticed that changing.

I've only noticed the red marks/scabs. I will stop feeding him dairy and will do as you advised.

Thank you,
Jenny

My Online Vet Response to small red marks on Dog's Stomach and Groin

Hi Jenny,

You are very welcome. Perhaps with help from a holistic vet, improved diet and supplements he may start growing hair on his abdomen!

Keep us posted!
Dr. Tillman

Small marks on dogs stomach
by: Jenny

Hi Dr. T.

Just wanted to give you an update on Eddie. His symptoms got worse so we took him to a vet and he has a staph infection. The vet gave him some antibiotic's and cream and he is doing much better now. Thanks for you help. Jenny

My Online Vet Response for Red Marks on Dog's Stomach and Groin

You are very welcome Jenny. Thank you for the update.
Dr. Tillman

food trial
by: Katie B

Hi Dr. Carol,
My dog is a almost 3 year old lab mix and he has had a similar rash on his stomach, groin, and under arms for about 5 months now. My vet has determined that it has to be a food allergy and recommended a food trial. We have been doing the food trial for about 16 weeks now. My dogs skin is fine when we give him temeral P for the skin irritation but after a day or two off of it his skin returns to the red marks and severe itching. I don't seem to be getting any answers from my vet so my question to you is, "Where do we go from here? should we try a new trial on a new dog food? How can we pin point what is doing this?"
Thank you
Katie B

Red Marks
by: Dina

My dog also has red spots on his stomach and around groin area and leg. I will take him back to the vet tomorrow but last time I took him, they changed his food to hypo allergenic and put him on zyrtec daily. Not helping. I feel bad for him.

My Online Vet Response For: Small Red Marks on My Dog's Stomach and Groin

Hi Dina and Katie,
Thanks for your questions. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).