Small, Red, Itchy Bumps on Side of Dog's Body

by Amy
(Gainesville, FL)

new found bump
Harlow

My dog has small, red, itchy bumps on the side of her body. They seem as though they have appeared rather quickly as I pay attention to her coat/skin daily.

The same bumps appeared on her belly a month or so ago. She was constantly licking her belly so I researched possible causes online. I came to the conclusion that it was a "hot spot" because she likes to dip in the pond or creek frequently and I live in the Florida heat.

I found how to treat hot spots (at home) online as well. I purchased Betadine, diluted it to a tea color, and washed her belly with it twice a day. I also tried to keep her belly as dry as possible (blow dry her belly after cleaning it.) I also purchased hot spot spray from Petco, but only used it a few times. This regimen seemed to work as the red bumps/rash went away on her belly after a couple of weeks.

But, just as her belly has almost completely healed, these bumps on her side have showed up. I thought it was just another hot spot problem, but now that I've research hot spots more, these don't seem to fit.

I had her shaved in this area so I could see the bumps better. Some bumps are raised and just pink, some of them have little black flecks (maybe dried blood?) I also have since found another patch of "something" near her neck (pictured.)

I have had her since she was about 1 and a half. She is now 4. I have never seen this before until I started allowing her to wade in the pond and the creek near my house. I have always fed her Blue Buffalo adult chicken and rice dry food. She has never had any other problems. I also give her Trifexis every month for fleas. I am usually very particular about checking her for fleas and I haven't seen any.

I have cleaned the area with the Betadine because I am guessing it is bacteria related, but I am eager to hear what you think this is and how to treat it. I'd really like to avoid an expensive vet visit! Thanks!

Comments for Small, Red, Itchy Bumps on Side of Dog's Body

My Online Vet Response for: Small, Red, Itchy Bumps on Side of Dog's Body

June 19, 2014

Hi Amy,
"I have cleaned the area with the Betadine because I am guessing it is bacteria related"

You are correct. Although, the bacteria are 'self-inflicted' from her toenails when she is scratching and itching. The photo you sent with Harlow's entire side shaved, shows what appears to be welts, or *hives*. These will appear due to an allergic reaction. Most common causes for welts or hives to appear in this area, on the side of her body, are NOT fleas, but due to:
food allergy,
poison ivy or poison oak,
insect sting or bite,
allergic reaction to something topical applied to her skin, such as a shampoo or flea/tick product,
or vaccine related.

It may require a bit of detective work to narrow the list down, as you have already suspected the water where she wades.

To make her more comfortable, and prevent secondary infection from her self-trauma, here are some suggestions:

1. Bathe her with a baby shampoo one to two times per week for the next 3 weeks, to control *surface* bacteria. You can use the betadine solution on her skin first, then shampoo it off.

2. Avoid the pond or creek, for the next 3-6 weeks.

3. Try a more natural flea/tick product such as http://www.wondercide.com, EVOLV, made from cedar oil. You can spray it on a bandana that she wears around her neck.

4. Use diluted Rescue Remedy, (20-30 drops of Rescue Remedy in 2-4 oz Spring water in a pump spray bottle). Spray on skin wherever she is itching or scratching to 'calm' down the skin.
http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy-pets-bach-flower/, and it will also calm her down if she licks it.

5. Consider a raw and/or canned food in addition to the DRY Blue Buffalo. Feeding only a DRY dog food is too drying for the skin, even if you add water or she has water available to drink. Her skin will improve as will her joints, kidneys, bladder, and her whole system with more moisture from her food. Feeding a dry food diet may have made her more susceptible to this allergic reaction.

6. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form for vaccinations.

And she may benefit from some homeopathic remedies, such as Thuya or Sulphur, to ease the itching. A holistic veterinarian can help decide which remedy would be best.