Small Rash on Chihuahua's Upper Groin Area

by Philip P.
(Morton, PA)

Lupie's groin

Lupie's groin

Lupie is 13 years old and diabetic. I noticed this mark today when I came home from work. It was not there yesterday.

A month ago he started eating glucose-wise dog food and taking insulin by needle, but there have been no changes to his diet or lifestyle in the last couple days. He has always suffered from bad allergies and takes 50 mg of Benadryl per day by permission of his vet.

Comments for Small Rash on Chihuahua's Upper Groin Area

My Online Vet Response For: Small Rash on Chihuahua's Upper Groin Area

July 2, 2014

Hi Philip,

The rash appears to be from broken blood vessels. This may be from him scratching himself, but I am more concerned that it could be because his skin is very thin. Cushing's Disease, another disease that can accompany Diabetes, will cause thinning of the skin, increased thirst, increased urination, pot belly appearance and thinning of the hair.

A blood panel can diagnose this condition.

In the meantime, he should be on Glucose Tolerance Factor, (GTF), chromium, to help stabilize his diabetes, so he does not require as much insulin. (available from amazon.com) Give him 10-15 mcg daily.

To help his skin, he should have fish oil supplements, but I am not sure how well his pancreas can tolerate fats, and I do not want to trigger pancreatitis.

I advise that he have a blood panel to check his liver and pancreas, and resting cortisol levels to rule out Cushings Disease.