Small Raised Reddish Mass Under Dog's Nose

by William S.
(Grants Pass, Oregon)

ORIGINAL (what the mass looked like when initial post was made)

UPDATED (See follow up post below)

I noticed last week this small, raised, smooth nodule on the under my dog's nose that seems attached and not free-floating. I wanted to use a blood root product, but when I aspirated the mass (blood came out, no liquid) I could not keep the salve on the wound for more than a second before he shot out his tongue and removed it. It looks like a Histocytoma to me.

He is a French Brittany, about 9 years old (exact age hard to say, was rescue dog).

What to do? His behavior has not changed all.

Comments for Small Raised Reddish Mass Under Dog's Nose

My Online Vet Response for: Small Raised Reddish Mass Under Dog's Nose

Hi William,

For your adult male French Brittany, at approximately 9 years of age, the appearance of this mass is similar to a histiocytoma. Except, histiocytomas occur in younger dogs between the ages of 6 months to 2 years. Older dogs are more prone to warts and mast cell tumors. From the photo you submitted, this could be either one. Although, warts usually have a much slower growth. I am amazed your dog let you stick a needle into it, especially in that location!

You ask, "What to do"?

I suggest-
1. No more Vaccinations. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for an exemption from vaccines.

2. DIET-- Make sure you are feeding a healthy diet. NO DRY DOG FOOD. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, and consider a Raw diet.

3. Treat with ORAL homeopathic remedies, as you have already discovered, topical ointments or salve will NOT work in that location, since he will lick it off. Thuya, Sulphur, and Silicea may be helpful, but a holistic veterinarian needs to 'take the case' and make a prescription with the most appropriate remedy.

Small raised reddish mass under dogs nose .
by: William

Than you Dr. The spring operated needle aspirator I used is very fast I will try the Homeopathy as I have degree in Vet Homeopathy .What scared me was , in the research I did it claimed the Histocytoma in a young dog might resolve itself but was more likely to be Malignant in an old dog, it claimed could get them , but if you do not see them in the older dogs maybe that is good .Mast Cell not so good .He gets Raw meat daily and always has but I have been adding some dry kibble and chicken broth . I will the remove dry food . I never give vaccines BUT was FORCED to give the rabies last year by the county to get a license or be fined , how do you get out of that ? The local Natural vet suggested to take him to another hospital and have it surgically removed. At his age I am not fond of that yet . I may still get a muzzle and inject the black salve if the Homeopathy is not working in a few weeks . I will report back

Hi William,

"I will the remove dry food" .
Excellent. Feeding a RAW diet is the healthiest!

"I never give vaccines BUT was FORCED to give the rabies last year by the county to get a license or be fined"
OH, NO!
Perhaps that is what triggered the appearance of this mass?

"how do you get out of that?"
Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian. They will be able to write an exemption.

"The local Natural vet suggested to take him to another hospital and have it surgically removed. At his age I am not fond of that yet."

I agree with you. If there is a question as to 'WHAT' kind of a mass this is, instead of a surgery, I suggest doing an impression smear.
This involves pressing a microscope slide against the mass. In most cases, a few cells will come off onto the slide, which can be stained and sent to the lab for a cytology report. If it is a benign lesion, there is no need for surgical removal. Even if it is a malignant mass, I would try homeopathic methods FIRST. You may need to find a different 'natural' veterinarian.

"I may still get a muzzle and inject the black salve if the Homeopathy is not working in a few weeks"
Please give the homeopathic remedies at least 3-4 months to work.

"I will report back"
Please do!

UPDATE: Progress of Reddish Mass Under Dog's Nose

I decided to take an aggressive approach to this mass... I muzzled the dog and as my wife stabilized his head I removed a small top section of the spongy mass. Then I applied some Black salve that I had mixed with DMSO gell. I held the mixture on the mass for about six minutes.

Directly after the treatment the mass appeared with some black stippling on the surface as
the salve started to work. With in six hours the top of the mass was eaten away and the normal black scab has formed in the crater as the updated picture shows.

I apply a tiny amount more once or twice a day when he is sleeping , until he wakes and licks it off, good for the internal dose that Is recommended.

I am giving Thuja at 30 cc three times a day for now. I also am mixing a table spoon of dry, cut Graviola herb In his raw meat daily which he
eagerly eats.

Before the procedure he was very aware of people wanting to see the growth and avoided that by turning his muzzle away. Now he does not
care and seems in much better spirits.

Hi William,

Your picture came through. It appears that you have 'de-bulked' the mass, so it is smaller, and now, it looks a bit inflamed.

I am glad your dog does not seem irritated by this. Although, I am suspicious that the mass may return. Thuya is a very good remedy for removing masses without any 'cutting' or using caustic material.

Keep us posted.

update
by: William

The inner scab now fell out on its own , very quickly actually. Some inflammation is always present with black salve as the body rushes white blood cells to the bad cells being attacked .However much to my surprise the area now feels smooth and soft and I do not feel any longer the presence of any mass in the skin. I will continue he Thuja and Graviola herb and report back if it returns or not . I really was not sure I was able to keep the salve on the mass long enough but the DMSO seems to have gotten it deep enough .

william

I left a reply earlier but it did not seem to go through , again ? . Anyway it is the normal routine to have some inflammation after black salve attacks a mass, and the body rushes white blood cells to the area as a typical healing reaction . In this case , much to my surprise , the scab already fell out last night leaving a clean hollow area . On feeling his skin now it feels smooth and normal and no signs of any attached tumor are present . I will keep up the Thuja for a while and the graviola herb I will report back if there are changes . Thank you for the help.

Hi William,

You are welcome, but I am not sure that I did much. Your method was a bit more aggressive than what I normally recommend. But, it sounds like things are proceeding smoothly.

Keep us posted!

Post a response by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

Raised Growth on dogs nose
by: William

I wanted to leave the finale update. The Black salve completely removed the tumor down to the base , the wound healed over and the hair grew back on the spot with no visible or palpable remains .

Hi William,

"The Black Salve completely removed the tumor down to the base , the wound healed over and the hair grew back on the spot with no visible or palpable remains".

That is GREAT! I love happy endings. Thank you very much for posting the final outcome!

- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer)
- Dog Warts
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Canine Tumors/Dog Cancer Section